free website stats program Synthetic 20 w 50 | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetic 20 w 50

fredm1130

I did a complete oil change on the new bike (new to me) It has 9000 miles on it and was dealer serviced 1000 miles ago but I like to know whats in it and when. So I bought the oil (syn amsoil) and changed the engine and then put amsoil syn gear in the tranny and went to the primary. I put my first qt in and went to get another. (book calls for 1.40 qts ) well i thought I had another but didnt. HMMMM going riding tomorrow what to do ???? Well i had conventional 20 w 50 rev tech. so I added what i needed in the primary. Went riding the next day , couple humdred miles. Ran great no noise no pull no slip no heavey clunks NOTHING ! worked great. I am just wondering if ok to leave it there or should i change it out? winter is apon us soon in the northeast USA and she will be going to bed soon. So do i need to do this or is it fine the way it is ? Thx

Careful you may start a new trend. If it works as good as you say. Everybody may try it. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Ride it.

Yup ride it. I was drinking Budweiser the other day and finished off with some Sam Adams. I'm still runnin' ok as well :p
WAP.gif

Update,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I called the mechanic today, he said there shouldnt be a problem, (known since we were kids and is hd cert. has his own company........ He said ANY lube will be best then no lube. So just to have the peace of mind,,,,, change it out, What i loose ? 1 qt ???? So i took it for a ride tonight got it up to temp and drained it. Put the plug back in and tomorrow in my travels I will get 2 qts of 2 amsoil 20-50 and finish the job. Probably nothing to worry about, but it is going to be done. Thanks everyone for the input.

Oil threads/preferences can be just like politics...depends on who/what you like & prefer. I'd have to agree w/your mech bud, but mixing has never been my forte so good option/choice on the swap.

You can use the engine oil in the gear case but not a wise idea to mix oils as sometimes compatibility issues can arise.

You can use the engine oil in the gear case but not a wise idea to mix oils as sometimes compatibility issues can arise.

There is always a better solution when lubes that are used are specifically design for the application of need.....

Back