free website stats program SYN3 In Harley Davidson Transmission cause of hot oil ? | Harley Davidson Forums

SYN3 In Harley Davidson Transmission cause of hot oil ?

175mws

Is it possible that the use of Syn3 in the 6 speed tranny is the cause of the hot oil in the TC96? I was not hot before I started running same oil in all 3 holes. well I'm just tossing this out to you guys. Today I'll put Redline Heavy with shockproof and see it my oil temp drops.

Is it possible that the use of Syn3 in the 6 speed tranny is the cause of the hot oil in the TC96? I was not hot before I started running same oil in all 3 holes. well I'm just tossing this out to you guys. Today I'll put Redline Heavy with shockproof and see it my oil temp drops.

Are you asking if the SYN3 in the tranny is contributing to your engine oil in your engine being hot? If so, doubt it. But SYN3 in any of the applications requiring lubricant on these Harleys is not the ideal fluid. As a general rule, a FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil should go in the engine. In the tranny should be a FULL synthetic GL-5 gear lube that's a 75W90 or 75W140 depending on mean climate temps. The primary should have a fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch fluid in it.

Check this:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I just drained the syn3 from the trans and found metal shavings in the oil. I used a new glad container for oil drain my magnetic plug was covered with metal dust and shaving.

You will find a good amount of metal on the plug using SYN 3, it's a motor oil (barely) and not to be used in a trans with gears. That's gear material that you see on the plug.

I called around and could not find Spectro local in stock. so I poured in the Redline Heavy for Vtwin and its Night and Day. Syn3 was like water next to the redline that poured like honey. next change I will have spectro on hand. I do change all three hole at 5k miles anyway. cheap insurance I guess.

This was the first time I've tried trans oil since the 1k service. I guess you guys are rubbing off on me.

Well I just got back from a 1 hour ride some hill and city riding. and my temp went to 267 deg on the HD LED temp gauge and the McEwan still reads 300 degs. so I guess trans oil had nothing to do with temps being too high. but it shifts nice now.

Well I just got back from a 1 hour ride some hill and city riding. and my temp went to 267 deg on the HD LED temp gauge and the McEwan still reads 300 degs. so I guess trans oil had nothing to do with temps being too high. but it shifts nice now.

I have an '03 UC. I put a low mount 10 row cooler on my bike. The adapter has the 180* (might be 185*) thermostat in it. Used the Jagg kit, but they make stuff that is sold under proprietary names.

Even with the OPPRESSIVE heat we have been having here in TX, I have not seen my oil temp over 210* yet this season. Now I only ride about 25 miles each way to work and back - a mixture of highway and street.

I have the bike Stage 1 with a SE 6-spd and roller chain conversion. Have a TFI fueler to tweak the gas, but I had wasted about $200 on a Dealership download when I did the Stage 1 (before I knew any better!!). Needless to say, I follow the lubricant recommendations found above!! So my suggestion to you is that you consider a cooler and fueler.

TQ

Thanks TQ, for the advice I"ll put a cooler on th bike. I have a PcIII USB on the bike now with a stage 1 AC and pipes. I got a pair of B&E Pipes plan on chaning them since they rattle a bit.

Back