free website stats program Syn Oil$$$$$$ | Harley Davidson Forums

Syn Oil$$$$$$

porkchop

Is syn oil really worth the extra expence? Ihave been using syn in my dyna from day one but i still change it every 2500 miles. Am i wasting my $ on this? I do know a couple of guys that are close to 100k on dino oil and still runing strong.

Is syn oil really worth the extra expence? Ihave been using syn in my dyna from day one but i still change it every 2500 miles. Am i wasting my $ on this? I do know a couple of guys that are close to 100k on dino oil and still runing strong.

IMO ---- this is a "OWNER'S CHOICE" topic BUT with that said -- yes it's worth it to me. Ever consider extending your oil changes to 3 or 5 k with the syn. and this depends on your choice of syn. oil your using.. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the dino oil just a few better oils on the market.

Dino oil will get you by but synthetic oils will do it better. They will reduce temps a bit and just make things slipperier, they also clean sludge better than dino oil. You'll notice on the first switch to synthetic from dino oil that it will get dark fast. That's the cleaning taking place.

Just don't use the syn 3 from Harley.

IMO ---- this is a "OWNER'S CHOICE" topic BUT with that said -- yes it's worth it to me. Ever consider extending your oil changes to 3 or 5 k with the syn. and this depends on your choice of syn. oil your using.. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the dino oil just a few better oils on the market.

A buddy of mine was telling me that the benifits of syn wasnt worth the extra cost and down the road you wouldnt be able tell much difference in wear if you tare down the engine. But that being said your probably right about the insurance part. maybe i should keep on going on syn.

A buddy of mine was telling me that the benifits of syn wasnt worth the extra cost and down the road you wouldnt be able tell much difference in wear if you tare down the engine. But that being said your probably right about the insurance part. maybe i should keep on going on syn.

I would almost bet that your buddy hasn't used anything but dino oils????

I would almost bet that your buddy hasn't used anything but dino oils????

Yes you would be correct on that. This is the first time i have used syn oil in anything, the main reason was for the high heat here in Tx. but before this had no experiance with syn wasnt sure if it was just a bunch of hype, there is allways two sides on this and it seems more poeple like the syn. Iguess time will tell. BTW ive been using amsoil not syn3.

Localy the Mobil VTwin Syn is less/qt. than the HD dino oil and the Amzoil, and works just fine.

Yes I was allready thinking of swithing to M1 or the spectro platinum till the words of of my buddy starded to work on me, Im going to call him and tell him he's full of ( )!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line - think of how much you initially invested in your bike and then think of the incremental additional expense of syn vs. dino and the additional benefits of syn oil. It's a total no brainer!!

Back