free website stats program Switching from Sportster to Heritage Softail Classic- what should I expect? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Switching from Sportster to Heritage Softail Classic- what should I expect?

When I went from 05 Sporty to 09 Street Glide - found a more comfortable riding position & really love the floorboards...like sitting in recliner vs. dining chair. I loved/miss the sporty, but seat time on dresser is definitely longer...;)

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I really appreciate it. It seems like I would definitely ride more. WHat would be an advantage to getting a newer one rather than the era I am looking at?

I personally like the evo engined harley davidsons i have got to know them fairly well and find with just a little care and attention they are reliable and seem to keep going
i cant comment on the newer stuff but the engine is bigger addition of fuel injection and more complex electronics

Brian

Hi - I just sold my 883 sporty after 18 months and got a 2010 flstc - got a great deal as the 2011's are out - I cannot stay off it - some nights i reckon i do a hundred k's without leaving the garage just sitting with it and a beer - better than watching tv

all kidding aside you will love the heritage - completely different style of ride to get used to but well worth it

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a 98 evo that is fuel injected, so maybe later 90's have FI as well as carb. Have found after a long ride (100 miles) and stop to get gas, better fire her back up on the first or second try. I actually installed a knob so I can lean it out to get her going again. (before I had to let it sit for 30 minutes or so then try to start her again).
Love the Heritage.

I had a 2009 sporty 1200 custom for a year and one month,traded it for a 2009 heritage softail classic.Man what a differance I love it,you will find out quick the saddle bags are great along with the windshield and floor boards.The sporty is a great bike wish i could have kept it also but i dont have the room for two bikes in my building.

If you can, get a newer one just for the 96" motor and the 6 speed. HUGE difference!

Also, yes the floor boards drag quicker than the pipes drag on a Sporty. But with a little technique you can keep up with them in the corners. Its called offset. If you stay on top of the bike the bike has to lean a certain amount in the corner. If you lean out (bad idea) the bike has to lean even more to compensate. So, if you lean in the bike doesnt have to lean as much. Therefore keeping the shiny parts off the pavement. Sport bikers do this to keep the tread on the pavement, but low and slow bikes do it to keep the chrome off the road

Always dreamed of owning a Harley and finally got one in 1998. Bought an 87 Sporty 1100. Have some old age issues such as bad knees and neck problems so I was more than ready to get off after just 50 miles or so. The vibration of the bike made my hands numb also. Put maybe 1k miles on it a year. Got a Custom Nightrain Softail last summer with 4600 on the clock when I bought it and now has about 11K. The difference is huge with comfort and I love it! One of the things that will be changed this winter will be to put on some pullback risers. I like the bars and want to keep those but am reaching out to get to them so that does cause me to not be able to sit upright enough and my neck gets stiff from bending it back after awhile. You're gonna love it! Go for it!

I have a 2007 heritage. The ride is smooth and has plenty of power to get on down the road. I would suggest you get gel pads put in the seat. really make a difference on those long rides. I put 14,000 miles on mine in in 14 months that is including a trip to daytona. I would not hesitate to go go on a loner road trip on it. plenty of room to strech out and get comfortable on. it handles curves just fine and it will drag the floor boards on tight curves. i would suggest swapping the bars for taller ones as my hands would go numb with the stock bars. i have 17' bars and my hands have not gone numb yet. run the premium gas. it is only a few pennys more but it gives better preformance.

Back