free website stats program Switching from Sportster to Heritage Softail Classic- what should I expect? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Switching from Sportster to Heritage Softail Classic- what should I expect?

I went from a 1200 SE to a Softail custom after 6 months. The Softail is heavier but with al lower center of gravity= better overall balance. The Sportster will carve better and you can ride more aggressively in the twisties. The Softail has more room for two up riding. The Sportster is quicker of the line. I love having the 6th gear for highway.

hated to do it had an 09 custom 1200 black ice/blue ice beautiful color been 3 weeks now and already missin it.But I got the 2011 flstc and although slower it is so comfortable.Just put a rider backrest and i can ride all day.Gonna get hiway pegs next the first bike i ever had that i will not have to change the seat on....very comfortable.Just wished i traded up within a year of owning sporty to take aadvantage of the buy back program where they give u full msrp toward a big twin.My sporty had 2300 miles and only got $5,000.It was an 09 and basically gave it to them.I will have another one day maybe the 48 model

Thanks so far guys. My sporty is the 1200 standard, but it has an aftermarket windscreen (I didn't put it on) and it has forward controls installed. I just put S&S slipons on it.

Is the maintenance just as simple/ complex? I have just done an oil/ filter change and some minor body work (ridding it of a little rust).

I would suggest getting the HD Service manual and the maintenance should be no more difficult for you.........

I still have my sporty it's a 97 883 xlh hugger model,I rebuilt the motor and it's now a 1212. much lower to the ground than my 05 springer, I had to get used to not laying it over so much in the curves, got some good scrap marks on the floorboards, but the ride is much smoother, it's like going from a sports car to a luxury car for sure.

I originally switched from a Sportster to a Softail. While the difference was like that of night & day, it was more like someone turned the lights on. You’ll initially experience the difference of the weight, length, handling & power (as already stated numerous times). However, depending on what types of rides you take, you’ll real quickly appreciate the accommodating features. Not sure if you’re going to keep both bikes, but I actually noted the difference a lot more when I got on a Sportster after riding my Softail for several months. Also, don’t sell yourself short. There’s a lot of great prices out there right now on used bikes. You might find that you can stretch you dollars toward one of this decade’s models. Congrats in advance!

Thanks so far guys. My sporty is the 1200 standard, but it has an aftermarket windscreen (I didn't put it on) and it has forward controls installed. I just put S&S slipons on it.

Is the maintenance just as simple/ complex? I have just done an oil/ filter change and some minor body work (ridding it of a little rust).

No problems, get the manual, and you have The Forum backing you up, enjoy your new BIG TWIN, Capital Jack:s

All good info. I love my Softail and would be very hesitant to go to anything else. Been riding over 30 years and rode lotsa different bikes, so far my softail is my favorite. Maintenance should be a breeze, I am doing it and I am a horrible mechanic (just ask my wife :wall). but working on the softail is a fairly straightforward process. Getting the HD Shop bible is definitely the way to go, but for the basics you can do with out it as this forum has the best help and even videos of how to do the three hole fluid change. A little birdie told me I am getting my shop manuel for christmas...:small3d036: Ride it, enjoy it and have fun.

I would expect alot more saddle time.
I would too. I had an 00 1200 Standard for about four years. Then I bought my 05 Heritage. I put twice the miles on the Heritage than I did the Sporty. Even with Progressive suspension on both ends of the Sporty the Heritage is much smoother. 100 miles on the Sporty and I was tired. 100 miles on the Heritage and I'm just getting warmed up.

Back