free website stats program Switching from Sportster to Heritage Softail Classic- what should I expect? | Harley Davidson Forums

Switching from Sportster to Heritage Softail Classic- what should I expect?

RideTheLightning

Hey guys, I am almost paid off on my Sporty. I am considering getting a 90's Heritage Classic (because it's more in my price range). What can I expect in terms of differences and similarities? I also could not find what type of fuel system this year range uses (carb vs. FI).

I am sure one difference is the weight/ balance of the bike, but what else? Thanks a lot. :)

Ride comfort and room to stretch out a little more. I would use no less than the high grade gas in it. Some people get by with the mid range fuel but for the few pennies you save per tank is not worth it to me.

At the era that you are looking at it will be an evo engine similar at the top end to your sportster but 1340 cc should be carb pretty much the same carb as on your sporty
it will be a bit longer a bit heavier and the seat will be a bit lower as will the centre of gravity so it will feel a bit more solid on the road
the handling will be much slower and the floorboards will touch on bends much sooner than your sporty you will not be able to flick the bike through a series of s bends like you can on a sporty but will hold a good line in a bend as long it is correctly setup and the tyres are good
as i have both a sportster and a softail i can pick and choose which bike suits my mood for that day they are a 92 softail and a 93 sportster i love both bikes

Brian

2 up riding will be better, the suspension can handle more load and you will have more power, cornering will be tricky now with a lower slung frame, but over all you will enjoy the ride IMO:s

A better ride, room to stretch, comfort like you never had before on bike. My wife went from a sporty to a hritage softail classic and she loves it. Says it is an easier ride and all around smooth comfort.

I have had a sporty, softail standard, and now an 05 heritage. It is great and very comfortable. I am a graybeard (mid 60's), but have had many younger guys compliment my riding style (they had trouble keeping up) and I find my Heritage handles the mountain twisties in PA as well as the other bikes. I am not a floor board drager, but any ride less than 200 miles is just a warm up. You will like the FLSTC.

Both are great bikes...Sportster is great solo sport riding type bike cruising and only occasionally for 2-UP for modest distances. Heritage is a Big Twin...read at least 100 lbs more, but more suitable for 2-UP for long distances, with more payload and power. Test ride both on a weekend and make decision based on experience if you can...puts your wants and needs in perspective based on your riding style.

Back