free website stats program Switching From Dino to Syn in a Car? | Harley Davidson Forums

Switching From Dino to Syn in a Car?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Since joining this forum I've become a recent convert to the advantages of synthetic oil in the motor. My question is - are there any concerns with switching from standard dino oil to a synthetic like Mobil One with a lot of miles already on the car? I've got a variety of vehicles (2 Fords, Volvo, Hyundai) with anywhere from 35,000 to 130,000 miles on them. I'd really like to keep them running in top shape as long as possible and I know a good, quality oil is a great first step along with routine maintenance. My local Autozone is offering 5 quarts of Mobil One Synthetic and an oil filter for $30 so I figure this would be a great time to get all my motors switched over.

Thanks for your input!

The purpose of synthetic oil is not so much to run a longer interval between changes but for better protection against thermal breakdown in the oil. Changing a car with high miles can sometime lead to leaking or seeping around the seals due to the better cleaning action of the synthetic and it's ability to remove sludge from an engine that may have accumulated using dino oil.
The synthetic oil will stand up to more extremes due to the molecular structure being a chain in nature and more uniform than the dino oil.

So, with all that being said, if I'm mainly trying to prolong the life of a car that's been run on dino oil it's whole life and not merely trying to extend the oil change interval, it sounds like it would be cheaper and maybe a little safer (Glider's mention of the leaky seals) to stick with the dino oil and just be meticulous about oil change intervals to avoid leaving it in past its breakdown point. Wow, how's that for a run on sentence. My high school English teacher would be furious with me!

I'd leave the dino oil in the higher mileage vehicles. Synthetics are a guaranteed leak finder.

I personally wouldn't change over on the high mileage car you have.. Everything else?? YES! Mobil 1 has Extended service oil, good for 15K. Likely longer if you first get a baseline oil analyisis and continue with oil analyisis. The analyisis alone will tell you when to change should you decide that route. I run MB1 in my truck and wifes car, Extended service oil with filter change at 5K and top off. I change oil and filter again at 10K. Next oil change in the bike, is MB1 V-Twin!

Hmmmmm...

Found this on the Mobil Oil website:

Myth: Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.

Reality: Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 was tested in dozens of industry standard and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made. If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1. ExxonMobil also recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.

Also found this on their website:

Mobil 1 High Mileage is designed especially for engines where conventional oil has been used, and where these conditions have been experienced:

Severe Service

Extended Oil Drains

Poor Maintenance

Multiple Owners

For engines where heavy deposits and sludging exist, we recommend short initial oil change drain intervals of 3,000 miles as cleanup progresses.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 is designed for higher mileage vehicles and provides the following benefits:

Extra anti-wear additive helps protect critical engine parts.

Reduces the sludge and deposits that conventional oils can leave behind.

Contains a special seal conditioner to help recondition seals and prevent leaks.

Higher viscosity formula helps reduce oil burn-off and leakage.

Meets API SL/CF

ILSAC GF-3 quality

Back