free website stats program Switchback Regret? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Switchback Regret?

+1 on the moving on to a bagger.

Seems to me you buy a Dynaglide as a boulevard cruiser. Same goes for many softtails. The Switchback seems like a naked dresser. What's the point in a naked dresser?

As someone posted on another forum:
"Baggers are cool but, and you can ride it all the way here and be totally comfortable, but once you got here you would wish you were on your cool bike....you know"
-Jesse James

The problem with the switchback is, it's a compromise that doesn't work for everyone. It's trying to be two bikes. I own a Chevy Avalanche - same principle. It's enough of a truck when I need a truck and enough of an SUV when I need an SUV. For me, that works. Heck, I put big bags on my Low Rider. Save for the ability to take them off quickly, I about did the same thing.

As someone posted on another forum:
"Baggers are cool but, and you can ride it all the way here and be totally comfortable, but once you got here you would wish you were on your cool bike....you know"
-Jesse James

The problem with the switchback is, it's a compromise that doesn't work for everyone. It's trying to be two bikes. I own a Chevy Avalanche - same principle. It's enough of a truck when I need a truck and enough of an SUV when I need an SUV. For me, that works. Heck, I put big bags on my Low Rider. Save for the ability to take them off quickly, I about did the same thing.

So the King is the answer.......

I was thinking bout buying a switchback after I sold my super glide back in feb..on a poker run the bike ahead of me was a switchback it looked ugly from the rear and the bags just looked to tiny for it so went with the king and never looked back

Sunnysideup is correct, I can 2nd on the lugging the engine causing large amounts of "classic HD vibration" for the Switchback.
I purchased my 2012 FLD last spring and can definitively say this is absolutely true. The 103"-6sp gets the best gas mileage and runs happy between 3K-4200 RPM. I learned the hard way by lugging the engine & wasting 4 gallons of gas in 45 miles running the rpm between 2100-2600. Stackrat's post is mostly true. It isn't 'trying' to be two bikes, with a little extra elbow grease it 'is' two bikes. By the end of next week I will have the modified Conley Fats mounted and the touring trunk mounted. Both of which use the factory quick-detach system. And yeup all on the cheap. $1K for the bags, $75 for the cheap-o-trunk, $100 for the quick plates and a final $60 for all other incidentals. Next year I spend the additional $450 for the matching paint.
So....yeah, my narrow Dyna rearend is getting some booty weight added. And easily removed when I finally get to point-B.
-Jesse James

Back