free website stats program Switchback Regret? | Harley Davidson Forums

Switchback Regret?

fxdc1951

Something I've noticed that I'm very curious about. It seems like almost every HD dealer I've visited, and on "motorcycle for sale" websites all over the internet, there are lots of 1 year old Switchbacks, with less than 2,000 miles, that have already been traded in for something else. The dealers in my area have at least a dozen one year old Switchbacks in their used bike area. What's the deal with them being traded in so quickly? Are people that bought them that anxious to get rid of them? This is a serious question as I was looking at possibly buying one in the Spring.

My neighbor has a switchback and loves it. He hasn't had any trouble, & he rides it a lot! :) He also has an ultra and now a Ducati Diavel, and has had about 45 years of riding to back his opinions.

He probably rides his switchback the most at this point. He sold an 08, 1200 roadster & an 05 road king (I think) that had the hack car on it last year.

He has a workshop set up to do anything and everything to a bike, so, I am not complaining. I would rank his knowledge of bikes right up there with Glider, and that says a lot. :)

My guess would be that as the people start riding their new switchbacks, they meet other people and want to move to a touring bike. :s Just my opinion however.

The main problem with The Switchback is the vibration riders complain about at certain RPM, some think it is due to the 2 into 1 exhaust, the MOCO has a fix for this tho some say it is a band aid on a broken leg

+1 on the moving on to a bagger.

Seems to me you buy a Dynaglide as a boulevard cruiser. Same goes for many softtails. The Switchback seems like a naked dresser. What's the point in a naked dresser?

I would bet the initial savings of money over the King seems like a good idea till some saddle time. Then some wished they had purchased the King in the first place and trades the Switchback in. I do not like the small bags and exposed shocks.

I would bet the initial savings of money over the King seems like a good idea till some saddle time. Then some wished they had purchased the King in the first place and trades the Switchback in. I do not like the small bags and exposed shocks.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Streetbob. I've ridden almost every modern Harley there is (including a VRod) and always feel faster and tougher on my Stage 1 Streetbob (club bike). I don't think buying a Dyna is about saving money. It's about a sportier ride. My point was the Switchback seems to be trying to be something else and that's why people buy it. They are already leaning toward a bagger and then realize they should have a bagger. To me a Road King feels like riding a bus compared to my Streetbob.

I don't know, why not ask the MILLIONS of Road King owners. :s

Probably because the King is in the heavy class of bikes along with a heavy bike ride quality and the other sudo baggers are not. Which may make them more manageable to some. To each their own............

Not ever have ridden one, I tend to think Jack for the most part has it nailed. Vibration is not a fun thing at all. When I first got my Dyna, I disliked the vibration myself till I realized i was lugging the motor by riding in too tall a gear most of the time. When I let her windup more.......oh a completely different animal. Many people do not realize the value of a forum as we enjoy here. Without all of you, I would not enjoy my bike a third the amount I do now. So it is possible the excessive vibration due to the exhaust could be running people away from the Switchback. Maybe an opportunity to those interested in buying a slightly used one;).

Like my dad once told me, for every ying there's a yang.

Back