free website stats program Switch to mobile 1 v-twin | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Switch to mobile 1 v-twin

OIL

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... So I tend to lean on the 1996 NY Taxi test done by consumer reports. Check it out…..

Consumer Reports - The Surprising Truth About Motor Oils

When did NY cabbies start riding Harleys?:smell

Another advantage to synthetic is it's ability to withstand higher temps before breakdown, which is verty important for an air cooled engine

I use Mobil 1 75-90 syn gear lube in the trans ! Why would you use a motor oil in a gear driven trans ?
Also most of the noise that you relate to a lifter is coming from the primary , to eliminate the so called lifter noise you should put in the SE compensator upgrade kit , it will also take care of the starter Klunk & if you do the 103" upgrade you save $$ on compression releases with the compensator upgrade , the compensator upgrade will eliminate the need for compression releases .

I avoid the neutral to 1st clunk by just pulling in the clutch lever, counting to 3 then shifting to 1st, it gives the clutch basket time to spin down. By the way I'm a believer in synthetics too.

The clunk is usually worse the first time in the morning. If you hold the lever in for about 30 seconds while warming up your bike, then put it in first without releasing the lever, it will hardly make a tick.

I tried the 3 second deal this morning , slipped into 1st with no clunk , in fact it was so smooth i had to double check to make sure it was in gear .

my ticking is most noticeable 2200-2800 rpm....

Ultrat - I took a ride this evening and noticed your observation as well, but the ticking on my ultra is between 2200-2500rpm. Below or above that range, and the tick tick tick is gone. I can be at 3k rpm in 3rd gear, no tick, shift from 3rd to 4th, and when 4th falls between that range..it immediately begins the tick.

Not sure the significance of this..but it's a solid tick in between that range..and no ticking above/below - doesn't matter what the gear I'm in - if between that range, it's ticking.

Back