free website stats program Switch to mobile 1 v-twin | Harley Davidson Forums

Switch to mobile 1 v-twin

BOWHIKER

I took a short 50 mile round trip saturday after doing the change to synthetic oils . I couldn't believe how much quieter the engine is now . Before i could always hear the ticking sound which i guess was the lifters chattering but now with the mobile 1 i don't hear the ticking anymore . I was amazed , i would guess the syn is a whole lot better than the dyno oil is . It made me a believer . The tranny shifts a lot smoother now too . There is still the harley clunk from nuetral to first but if it didn't do that you'd think it was a honda . Lol

Thats the same experience I had when I switched to synthetic. It was like riding a different bike. Smoother and quieter and well worth the extra cost. Been a believer ever since.

Did the switch to full synthetic a few weeks ago myself. Just bought my 08 E'Glide from an HD dealer, who serviced it before they put it up for sell. I'm guessing they put their HD brand dino oil in. Bike had 8142mi on the clock when I purchased.

This bike definitely has the valve tick, and when I switched to Spectro full synthetic 20w50.. I noticed no improvement in valve tick noise. It's still got the tick. It's quiet for the 1st 10min of riding but once it gets up to operating temp, it still has the same tick as what it had before I switched. I'm chalking this up to that's just the personality of this bike -

Trvlr, That ticking could be a exhaust leek, try to tighten them up a little on the heads.

Maine - just finished doing some reading on valve tick noise, and did see several comments about about exhaust related ticking.

Not to hijack this thread but definitely will check into that. Factory warranty expires in August - so not needing compensator, fuel pump issues, or anything along that line - I'd hate to start getting into mechanical issues where I have to take it in and let HD techs start tearing into it...just got the darn thing - but thanks for pointing that out -

Yep, treat your bike right & it will give you many years/miles of pleasureable riding. Definitely a good choice w/the M1 Synth switcharoo.

Generally most notice the bike makes a little more engine noise with syn oil .

That was my experience. I went to synthetic oil at 1000 miles and had the stock pipes on at the time. I thought there was more engine noise on the synthetic. Syn3.
Next oil change I went with Amsoil, but I had installed louder pipes and no longer could I hear the engine as well.
Now I use Mobil 1 in engine and primary and Golden Spectro in gear box and all is holding up and running well and shifting well too.
I still only have 14000 miles though, but I think I found my combination.

I took a short 50 mile round trip saturday after doing the change to synthetic oils . I couldn't believe how much quieter the engine is now . Before i could always hear the ticking sound which i guess was the lifters chattering but now with the mobile 1 i don't hear the ticking anymore . I was amazed , i would guess the syn is a whole lot better than the dyno oil is . It made me a believer . The tranny shifts a lot smoother now too . There is still the harley clunk from nuetral to first but if it didn't do that you'd think it was a honda . Lol

I avoid the neutral to 1st clunk by just pulling in the clutch lever, counting to 3 then shifting to 1st, it gives the clutch basket time to spin down. By the way I'm a believer in synthetics too.

Back