free website stats program Switch Control Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Switch Control Questions

Rhys

OK Igot new bars from Carlini's. I want to add all new controls, Switches etc..... My question is, My bike has the police controls and the right hand side is kinda straight forward. But the left hand side has a clutch switch and my new stuff dosn't have any location for the clutch switch. I was told to get rid of it. I'm not sure how and I'm concerned that it would cause problems. Any Ideas or help????

Two ways to do it. Find, and connect the wires together permanently, or insulate them from each other permanently (I don't know if the clutch switch is normally open, or normally closed). You will end up with either a starter that will only engage when bike is in neutral, or will engage when in gear even when clutch lever is out (like older bikes). It should not throw any codes.
My '92 Dyna starter engages in gear with/without the clutch, and I've never
(well, almost never) had a problem. My '07 starter engages in gear only when clutch lever is pulled, engages in neutral without lever.

Mine is a 07 Road King, I was told to cut the clutch button wires at the button and wire them together. I could do that, but where does it go to. I was just wondering why not get rid of it all together. Is it wired to the Starter solenoid, a relay, Ect.....? I know if I wire it together it will allow the bike to start, I just didn't know if it was going to burn something out over time being wired on non-stop

I'd be guessing if I said nothing would ever happen if it was wired together.:newsmile040: And I never traced the wiring diagram to see where it ends up.

It is a safety feature, my guess is if you bypass it you will be OK, just remember to pull in the clutch if you are in gear to start it or it will try to creep forward on you

well I got it all wired up and seems ok. So, I guess we will wait and see. Thanks guys!!!

Back