free website stats program Swirl marks in paint after waxing... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Swirl marks in paint after waxing...

Yes, I have confirmed Turtle wax, Black Box is sold at Autozone. Looks like I know what i will be doing this saturday.

Buffing out with a micro fleese is good.....IMO, it's the cloth and how hard you press that leaves the swirls....

Buffing out with a micro fleese is good.....IMO, it's the cloth and how hard you press that leaves the swirls....
Agree. In the past I would continue to use the same cloth throughout the entire waxing even when there would be some grease that it picked up.As I result I was doing more harm than good! :( Now I examine my cloths closely to make sure they aren't getting too dirty. And yeah, micro fleece is very soft so it does work very well. I rotate cloths so I always am using a clean one. They are fairly inexpensive at the "job lot" store, or Wal-Mart so I keep plenty on hand. Because I am frugal ( okay, cheap) I wash them for reuse. :s

Just picked mine up from autozone.

Finished Tank and front fender. Time consuming, but very impressive results. Had someone ask if it was a new bike, said no 2003 with 52K on it !!! Tomorrow Rear fender. Not sure about frame yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clean micro-fiber towels are a must on black paint. Try Lucas Slick Mist. I use it everytime I put bike away. Windvest windshield,paint,chrome everything. Never leaves any marks. Bugs don't stick as bad either.
wilks3
:USA

Here's what I've learned about some polish and HD's new soft clearcoat. New 2011 FLHTK...Red/Merlot. Paint had cured by now. Tried these products on the bottom of the bags where swirls wouldn't be a visible problem. It takes a bright light to see the swirls...a flashlight in a darkened room is best.

The finish was new, perfect shine, and cleaned without dust. The rags were new microfiber, used gently by hand. Also tried the same on the fuel tank with the same results. I am not a body man, just a 51 year rider of motorcycles.

1. Harley Glaze Polish & Sealant...left swirl marks in new perfect clearcoat.
2. Harley-Davidson swirl and scratch...same as above. It also would not remove the swirl left by the glaze, just added to the damage.
3. Harley Spray Cleaner and Polish...perfect gloss and no swirl or scratches.
4. A variety of 3M and Meguiars fine swirl removers all left a pattern of swirls.

The Spray Cleaner (P/N 99817-99B) is what I'll use. When the paint gets scratched, then I'll have to try something else to fine out the damage. Probably whatever a local body shop recommends.

The finish on my 2000 FLHTC was harder and more resistant to swirls. It also took the first two components above well with no additional damage that I could tell when applied with a Mother's sponge ball system a year ago.

Gary

Try a very soft cloth and some corn starch. Rub softly and blow off the residue

a old time car detail-er trick

olbill

Back