free website stats program Swirl marks in paint after waxing... | Harley Davidson Forums

Swirl marks in paint after waxing...

Mavagrand

...what causes this? It is on everything but the tank, which makes me think it has something to do with the composite material of the fairing, saddle bags and tour pak. What I'm talking about are swirl marks left behind after I wax the bike. Seems to be an impression of the wax itself in the clear coat. I've actually put another coat of was to remove some only to have them replaced by the second coat. You only notice it in bright light but, living in Florida in the summertime, its bright all the time. My bike is vivid black. any ideas?

...what causes this? It is on everything but the tank, which makes me think it has something to do with the composite material of the fairing, saddle bags and tour pak. What I'm talking about are swirl marks left behind after I wax the bike. Seems to be an impression of the wax itself in the clear coat. I've actually put another coat of was to remove some only to have them replaced by the second coat. You only notice it in bright light but, living in Florida in the summertime, its bright all the time. My bike is vivid black. any ideas?

My 97 FLHT did the same thing, Black and Florida just dont seem to get along. Have you tried a good detail shop, these guys are wizzards:s

I used to use a space age sealer on my Black HD.. I don't remember what it is called. It would leave a GLASS Like Finish and NO swirls.....

NOW at Fairs, they use a product and show How It Doesn't Leave the marks you are talking about... Usually on a BLACK Hood off a old car and talk about SHINE.... and NO MARKS

I bought the Fair product years back also and Now am totally out,, Next Fair I'll build up my supply....

signed....BUBBIE

I found a product called SCRATCH DOCTOR by Nu Finish that works really well. I used it on my ex's mini cooper after she used a brillo-pad to remove love bugs (Brilliant... huh ?)Anyway, it works just as well on my harley for removing fine hair line scratches and swirl marks.

Try using Pledge a couple of times a day. It worked to reduce the visibility of swirl marks on my black paint. Some it removed completely.

Try turtlewax Black Box. it works great. Also, make sure you use a very clean, very soft, cloth, with a very light touch to wipe off the wax. A fresh micro-fiber cloth, turned frequently. You would be surprised at the tiniest bit of grit or a cloth with fibers harder than the clear coat or wax will do.

I use this stuff on my vivid black '03, and it works wonders.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Meguirs also makes a product that will remove the swirl marks and light scratches. Works pretty good.

Shakey

ribeye and smitty,
thanx for the tip about TutleWax Black Box,this stuff did the trick. swirl marks are gone and th ebike looks pristine. great stuff highly re commend it.

The biggest cause of swirl marks are from dust, you need to hose off,(strong stream of water) All dust road dirt etc...prior to washing with soap. then use your choice of wax,,, then polish it.. :D

The biggest cause of swirl marks are from dust, you need to hose off,(strong stream of water) All dust road dirt etc...prior to washing with soap. then use your choice of wax,,, then polish it.. :D

I agree and also, change the polishing rag when it appears to be dirty.

Back