free website stats program swingarm shaft removal | Harley Davidson Forums

swingarm shaft removal

Art Page

Hi all, trying to put a new belt on my 02 Roadking and I'm down to the swingarm shaft. Chapter nine of my HD manual says to drive out the shaft through the right side and chapter eleven says to drive it out through the left side. Anybody know which is the way to go before I beat this poor thing into oblivion? Also, the nut on the left came off no problem....but the nut on the right just turns the shaft always causing the nut on the left to back off. Got to get that nut on the right off of the shaft. Suggestions? Impact gun?
Thank you! And have a great weekend.

The nut on the right side is made on the axle. tap the left side of axle with a brass hammer while turning the right side nut counter clock wise and axle should come out.

Sorry Art was thinking about axle. The swing arm bolt can be a real pain if it didn't have anti-seiser(miss spelled) on it when installed. Try turning the nut on the right counterclock wise while tapping on the left side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, trying to put a new belt on my 02 Roadking and I'm down to the swingarm shaft. Chapter nine of my HD manual says to drive out the shaft through the right side and chapter eleven says to drive it out through the left side. Anybody know which is the way to go before I beat this poor thing into oblivion? Also, the nut on the left came off no problem....but the nut on the right just turns the shaft always causing the nut on the left to back off. Got to get that nut on the right off of the shaft. Suggestions? Impact gun?
Thank you! And have a great weekend.

MAKE SURE YOU SUPPORT THE BACK OF THE TRANNY BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE SWING ARM SHAFT. SCISSOR-JACK WITH A 2x4 ON TOP IS PRETTY GOOD.

Well there is your answer. Tap it out from the left side towards the right. Left side nut is off! Once you get the shaft out, removing the nut should be easier even if you have to use a nut splitter. You should not have to "beat" the shaft out. It should almost just push out with a large screw driver or something to push it with.

TQ

Thanks guys, I guess I've been trying to get it out of there in the correct direction but so far no luck. The shaft turns okay but it won't budge as far as slding out goes. I'll try adjusting the wood block to take some more weight off the tranny. Maybe look around for one of those pointed brass drifts and a larger hammer.

You may want to try some penetrating oil to lube it(the shaft) where it goes thru the tranny. A little heat doesn't hurt either. Take your time with it because I've heard where the ear on the tranny can break,then you really have problem.
tourbox

Definately get that brass drift, it will be more than worth it, not just on this job but in the future as well.

As far as penatrating oil goes PB Blaster seems to be more oily? if that makes sense. Or Kroil not sure bout the spelling there, it is a bit harder to find though. WD 40 dries too quickly

Another thing that makes it a bit easier, is if you can support the bike independently and then support the tranny as you attempt to remove the swing arm axle.

This whole project is much easier if done on a lift table, working on the floor or one of those motorcycle jacks is gpoing to add hours upon hours to the time it will take you to get it done. In any case good luck hope it works out well for you

Thanks for the help everyone. I finally got that shaft out of there. It came out with the outer spacer stuck to it....but it came out. Going to try and find a brass drift anyway. It looks like NAPA auto parts carries them.

Back