free website stats program Swing arm | Harley Davidson Forums

Swing arm

Irish Hog

I have been looking at my swing arm on my dyna and have been tossing up pulling it off and having it chromed or just getting a new chrome swing arm from the catalog. My question is has anyone ever changed out a swing arm?? I have never pulled off my back tire, but I am willing to learn and would like to do this myself. Is there alot of work involved.

My second question is, what is the best way to go for the swing arm. Should I have it chromed, buy a new one or just get covers??..

I'm not sure if they make covers for your model but if I was going for a replacement I would go with the factory HD chrome arm.Instead of waiting weeks (possibly)to have your old one chromed you can pick one up at the dealer and install it on a Sat.afternoon.You'll have a lot less down time and more than likely a better chrome finish.JMO You can do the chrome exchange deal but sometimes the quality isn't up to par.

+1

I definitely think the quality of most HD chrome parts is worth the money compared to a lot of aftermarket stuff or the eBay chromers.

As for the covers verses the swingarm choice, depends on how deep your pockets are. I personally would enjoy taking on a new task such a swapping swingarms. But, if I felt I lacked the mechanical skill, the tools, or the money, the covers would make for a good alternative.

If you don't have one, get a HD service manual. They are worth their weight in gold. I have installed thousands of dollars worth of parts on my FXDI with no motorcycle wrenching experience. This was only possible having the service manual to use as a reference.

First I'd check out how much HD wants for a chrome swingarm(be sitting when they tell ya) If you don't want much down time,check out finding a used take off and either send it out to be chromed from a reputable chromer or install the take off and send yours out.

First I'd check out how much HD wants for a chrome swingarm(be sitting when they tell ya) If you don't want much down time,check out finding a used take off and either send it out to be chromed from a reputable chromer or install the take off and send yours out.

It's listed in the 2009 HD Catalog for $329.95.

Its not a difficult job.Installed a chrome swing arm on my softail in a couple of hours with sudds.Just need the proper tools and the manual.Found mine at a swap meet for $125, dealer scratched it on install and the customer complained.

been debating the same thing. dont know if i want to chrome them or have the frame painted. i think the chrome is less hassle for the price. for no more than they are i would buy new.

Its a job for a wrench if you are one have at it remember the shaft runs thru the back of the tranny keep track of all spacers and bearings and get the torqe settigs right have fun,jel

Back