free website stats program Swapping RKC Handlebars | Harley Davidson Forums

Swapping RKC Handlebars

emcmtony

Going to swap my stock 2009 Road King Classic bars for the Heritage Style this weekend. Have the shop manual and ready to go. It is a little confusing at times but I will figure it out. Any advice from someone who has done it and knows the pitfalls?

Take your time and protect the tank and fender with padding. The switch housings are the important part. Never try to use the screws to pull them up tight. Always position them with just your hands so they are completely closed up and then holding them like that insert the screws and tighten them up. Doing it this way eliminates pinched wires when installing them which end up being a real headache then.

also check for burrs around the holes in the bars that the Throttle by wire unit feeds into .. feeding that back into the bars is the hardest part .. the manual is little fuzzy as it makes you jump around but you pull the throttle unit out of the bar to find a smaller connector then feed that backward though the bar and out

On my RG I had to disconnect the TBW harness that was inside the fairing because there was not enough slack in the TBW harness to get the plug out of the handle bar to unhook it , I used a 12gauge wire and snaked it through the bars & tape it to the TBW harness & pulled the harness through the new bars , it is not hard to do but as mentioned before be careful not to pinch any wires when putting the controls back on , the RK should be easier than the RG . By the way the heritage style bars get 2 thumb up IMO

Going to swap my stock 2009 Road King Classic bars for the Heritage Style this weekend. Have the shop manual and ready to go. It is a little confusing at times but I will figure it out. Any advice from someone who has done it and knows the pitfalls?
Not sure but you might have to remove the pin connectors from the boot on the "Drive by Wire" throttle control. You'll notice when you disconnect the connectors the the connector on the "Throttle" side has 6 wires- 2 black, 2 white and 2 red, lined up in rows top and bottom. The other side of the connector has 6 different color wires for each hole. Make sure you don't swap top for bottom on any of these, get them back in the same positions or your thottle control won't work. Also plug all your plugs back in prior to putting everything back together and start your bike, check your controls and lights, make sure it all works before you spend the time putting it all back togeather. Lastly Like Glider sez.......avoid pinching them wires, slow and easy.........no beer or nothing til yer done.

Thanks for the tips. I did the install this morning. I was really afraid of the nacelle, the procedure made is sound harder than it was. I was also a little worried about the TBW connector. It is pretty flimsy but with a tiny screw driver depressing the tab, it came out beautifully. So far, I am happy with the bars. I am not bending over at all, I am going to expiriment with where I want them, but right now, it seems like it was 80 dollars well spent. I am glad I did it myself and didnt spend the 200 bucks or so for the dealership to put them on. I think the clutch cable changed a little, not sure how to fix that, it shifts ok, but I heard a noise one time when feathering the clutch.

Back