free website stats program Suspension upgrade 2010 Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Suspension upgrade 2010 Ultra Classic

89stroker

Good Day,
I just thought I would give my first impressions of my front and back suspension upgrade that I finally pulled the trigger on.

Why I ultimately decided to upgrade is that I have never been happy with the way this bike rides, I found (stock suspension) the front end choppy while the rear end bottoms hard and the rebound nearly launches me an my passenger off the seat. In the rear, I tried every air presuure setting as well as I have changed oil in the shocks from 5wt to 10 wt to 15 wt to 20 wt and I just have not found improvement. In the front I have tried 2.5wt, 5wt, 10wt, 20 wt again I just wasn't happy.

So, what I landed up doing is purchasing progressive front springs part #11-1131 and progressive 940 ultra touring shocks part #940-4020UT. I researched this a lot, I know there is better (much more expensive) suspension parts out there but by my research I thought this would be my best bang for my buck. Ordered from USMotoman as it was the best pricing I could find. Rear shocks a breeze to change and the front end was not much harder to do as I have worked on front ends quite a bit over the years. I finally got a chance yesterday to take the bike out 2 up for a few hundred miles. My 1st impressions are AWESOME, this is how the bike should have ridden off the showroom floor. I did have some bottoming in the rear only due to starting on the softest setting. Thoughout the day I kept increasing preload on the rear shocks, I am at 4 turns and have no bottoming (there is a full 11 turns of preload available). Shocks are set easily by hand, just need to remove saddlebag and turn by hand.

I am finding so far that the bike rides much, much better. With stock suspension I could feel every crack in the road, now it is smooooooth like butta. On bigger bumps it is much improved as well, rebound on the progressive 940 is much more controlled than the stock air shocks that used to act like a catapult.

I will thow out an update after I get some more miles on the suspension and get it dialed right in but so far it is a way better ride. If someone is on the fence about pulling the trigger on a set up like this, you will be very pleased with the results.

Thanks for the info! I have been wanting to upgrade my suspension to Progressive for quite a while but there never seems to be enough in the budget after taking care of the wife, kids, house, cars, etc. :(

Appreciate the review & I was researching same rear shocks (Progressive 940's) because of the "springboard" affect w/HD's air system. Might have to $ave $ome greens for these - thks!

Appreciate the review & I was researching same rear shocks (Progressive 940's) because of the "springboard" affect w/HD's air system. Might have to $ave $ome greens for these - thks!
Progressive used to always have a trailer at Sturgis, maybe they will be running a sale.

Thanks for the info! I have been wanting to upgrade my suspension to Progressive for quite a while but there never seems to be enough in the budget after taking care of the wife, kids, house, cars, etc. :(

You guys are welcome. As I said, I will get some more miles and then give another review.

I just upgraded my Road King front suspension to the Progressive gas mono tube cartridges. So far they are great too. The front end brake dive is gone. Nice firm responsive ride. I too will do a more detailed eval. once I have more time with it.
I will be looking for some rear shocks next and certainly will go with Progressive. I was looking at the 940's and as I recall they lower your rear 1". That would shy me away from those, as I like my ride height and don't want to change it. So I may look at the 440's instead.

I just upgraded my Road King front suspension to the Progressive gas mono tube cartridges. So far they are great too. The front end brake dive is gone. Nice firm responsive ride. I too will do a more detailed eval. once I have more time with it.
I will be looking for some rear shocks next and certainly will go with Progressive. I was looking at the 940's and as I recall they lower your rear 1". That would shy me away from those, as I like my ride height and don't want to change it. So I may look at the 440's instead.

I have the Progressive monotubes and they are great IMO and the biggest seller for me was no more fork oil changes. Progressive 440's on the rear of my bike and they are way better then the stock suspension. I didn't lower my bike any because I didn't want to change the handling characteristics. :bigsmiley12:

I've got about 7,000mi on the monotube system and am as pleased with them now as I was when new. I have the progressive 918(?) air shocks in the rear and they made a world of difference in the way the bike tracks over bumps.

I am thinking about doing the same upgrade to my 2010 Ultra Classic as the front end seems to be getting choppy after 25K. How do you like it so far?

Back