free website stats program Suspension noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Suspension noise

kman

I'm glad I finally found this site. Just traded in my 98 FXDWG for an 09 Ultra Classic. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the suspension on the new 09. The first day the wife and I went for a ride, we went over a fairly large bump and we heard a lound clunk that sounded like my suspension grounded out at the the top end. Any suggestions? I have my air set to the max and my wife weighs 140lbs and I top the scales at 260lbs.

sounds like these like to bottom out no matter what. guy i work with weighs 165 he bottoms out 1 up all the time, he got a price of around 300$ to replace his rear air shocks with coil suspension. sounds like that might be the way to go? no leaks, find your setting and leave it... you will get a better answer soon im sure... welcome to the forums.

Welcome Kman...yes as Scrappy says, you are probably "bottoming out" your suspension. May want to raise the "preload" spring setting or ask the dealer if there is a tool to mechanically adjust up the preload of your rear shocks (if by adding max pressure to the rear air shocks did not fix). If the problem is lessend or gone...then I would not forget to add the same to the front as well to level out the bike.

Last edited:
My girlfriend and I weigh about the same in combination (except that she's 260 ;) only kidding). We ride a Road King and although I'm sure your bike is a little heavier, I don't think it is that much heavier. I can tell you that we have never bottomed out and I've hit some pretty good pot-holes. How much is what you consider "max"? We run between 40 and 45 lbs. Check your owners manual to see how much they recommend.

Welcome to the forum. Ride safe, be safe.

Another option if you still bottom out with the shocks pumped to max is change the stock 5wt with BelRay 10wt HVI Racing Suspension fluid.

I was under the impression he was bottoming out the rear shocks. Does the fronts have some affect of this or did I miss something, as usual? Is it recommended to change the front fork oil? :newsmile030:

I was under the impression he was bottoming out the rear shocks. Does the fronts have some affect of this or did I miss something, as usual? Is it recommended to change the front fork oil? :newsmile030:

I was talking about the rear shocks, there have been quite a few guys have done this and really like the results, they also can run less air pressure in them, I plan on doing it over the winter on mine.
Some guys use fork oil in them and one fella called BelRay and said they recommended the HVI Suspension fluid because they said the rear shocks heat up more than the front.

Back