free website stats program Suspension Bottoming out 08 dyna super glide custom | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Suspension Bottoming out 08 dyna super glide custom

I love harleys but the truth is they make them too low. Looks nice any easy to touch down but they are just too low. They have less than 5" ground clearence and worse yet less than 3 inches of rear shock travel. You can firm up the rear by adjusting the preload but then you get less dampening and the ride is bone jarring. Only real choice is to get after market shocks that increase both ground clearence and dampening.

Suspension mods are in the works for the semi-distant future. I may have that as a winter project. Some Progressive springs and new rear shocks.

Measure what comes out, 10 oz aint going to be enough

Agree with Jack here, measure what comes out and replace just that amount. Also get the Service Manual, you'll pay for it in savings at your first maintenance.

That said, the '07 Dyna Service Manual says 26.6 oz AFTER reassembly (FXDWG is 29.6 oz, (longer forks?)). A drain and refill would be somewhat less but this should give you a starting point. Your '08 should be the same.

Good luck.:guitar

I love harleys but the truth is they make them too low. Looks nice any easy to touch down but they are just too low. They have less than 5" ground clearence and worse yet less than 3 inches of rear shock travel. You can firm up the rear by adjusting the preload but then you get less dampening and the ride is bone jarring. Only real choice is to get after market shocks that increase both ground clearence and dampening.

Has anyone tried Burly brand rear shocks? Price is attractive.

My dyna ride was terrible until a smarter person pointed out that an after market slam kit was installed off from the shocks. I put it back to stock and and set the shocks to 1 and it rides as smooth as a Buick. The bracket is hard to spot if you are new to HD or a dufus like me.

I just got a 2007 super glide with 5k miles and it has the Burley shocks on the back, it comes with the front springs but they are still in the box. The rear shocks ride well and don't seem to bottom out (I'm at 175lb). Puts the bike real low, I like the twisties and it scrapes the pipes. But I'll be going back to the stocks.

I found on my 2010 FXDC that when riding 2 up I almost always would bottom out on hard bumps even on the 5th setting. It was also hard on my wife's feet since the shock went straight to her feet from the swing arm. I Put on a set of progressive's HD 502's( at least I think that is what the model is). They are great for 2 up but a bit stiff for single riding, even at the lowest setting. But comfort for mama is top priority.

Back