free website stats program Suspension Bottoming out 08 dyna super glide custom | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Suspension Bottoming out 08 dyna super glide custom

I bought a couple bottles of Screaming Eagle Fork oil (it's supposed to be a little heavier weight). Gonna head over to my buddy's house tonight and drain/refill the forks, and adjust the preload on the rear shocks. We'll see what happens.

I bought a couple bottles of Screaming Eagle Fork oil (it's supposed to be a little heavier weight). Gonna head over to my buddy's house tonight and drain/refill the forks, and adjust the preload on the rear shocks. We'll see what happens.

The Dynas do not have drain plugs on the lower legs. Do you have a manual and the tools to pull the fork caps off?

The Dynas do not have drain plugs on the lower legs. Do you have a manual and the tools to pull the fork caps off?

Hmm. Did not think of that. My buddy has ALL the tools, but no manual. He used to work in the shop at the local HD dealer, so I'm hoping he has the know-how.

Hmm. Did not think of that. My buddy has ALL the tools, but no manual. He used to work in the shop at the local HD dealer, so I'm hoping he has the know-how.

Use a long hosed suction gun to remove the fluid from each leg. Measure the amount you remove, replace what you remove, pump the front end to release air bubbles. Remember to hang the front wheel off the ground and loosen the pinch bolts before removing the caps, cover the tank and be careful the springs are under pressure:s

im a little confused...the service guy at the dealer said it takes around 26 oz per fork, but that seems way too much...I'm guessing that's for a set of bone dry forks? I've been reading in a few places that 10.7 oz is the amt per fork.

Don't know about the Dyna but my Softail takes 11 1/2 oz per fork

im a little confused...the service guy at the dealer said it takes around 26 oz per fork, but that seems way too much...I'm guessing that's for a set of bone dry forks? I've been reading in a few places that 10.7 oz is the amt per fork.

Measure what comes out, 10 oz aint going to be enough

I decided to say the heck with it. We adjusted the rear suspension, and left the forks alone.

I'll be taking the bike to the dealer next week to take care of the forks.

ChiroRick - Do yourself a favor and buy the HD service manual for your bike. It is by far, the best money you will spend on it.

Suggestions?
I love harleys but the truth is they make them too low. Looks nice any easy to touch down but they are just too low. They have less than 5" ground clearence and worse yet less than 3 inches of rear shock travel. You can firm up the rear by adjusting the preload but then you get less dampening and the ride is bone jarring. Only real choice is to get after market shocks that increase both ground clearence and dampening.

Back