free website stats program Suspension Bottoming out 08 dyna super glide custom | Harley Davidson Forums

Suspension Bottoming out 08 dyna super glide custom

ChiroRick

Excuse me if I seem like a rookie...I just got this bike a month ago...not new to motorcycles, but I am new to Harleys.

I noticed last week while hitting a couple bumpy spots on the interstate that the forks seemed spongy and they were hitting kind of hard. Tech at HD said I should drain the forks and go with a heavier fork oil. Planned on doing that this weekend.

Took the wife for a ride yesterday, and the whole bike seemed to jar kind of hard when we hit any bumpy spots in the road...it was definetly abnormal. There are no leaks around the forks...and the front and rear suspension is completely stock. I weigh 185, and my wife is 140. So, we're not a couple of porkers putting too much weight on the bike.

Suggestions?

Heavier oil in the front will help, but will make it ride stiffer. I went with Progressive (brand) springs on my Dyna. Try adjusting the pre-load on the rear shocks. That helps a lot with a passenger. If you don't know how to adj. the pre-load, post back and we'll tell you. :)

Front fork oil does need to be changed every few years or sooner depending on the condition of the roads you travel. The rear suspension is I believe non rebuildable. Your correct that you and your wifes weight should not be any problem for the bike, but do you know how big the former owner was and if it was ridden mostly two up? Has the suspension been lowered or is it stock height?

Front fork oil does need to be changed every few years or sooner depending on the condition of the roads you travel. The rear suspension is I believe non rebuildable. Your correct that you and your wifes weight should not be any problem for the bike, but do you know how big the former owner was and if it was ridden mostly two up? Has the suspension been lowered or is it stock height?

I'm the second owner, and bought it with 2200 miles on it. I don't know exactly whether or not the p.o. rode two up, but I definetly know he didn't ride it much.

Suspension is stock. I don't know how to adjust the preload on the rear shock, but I'm willing to give it a try. How do I find out where it is set now, and then how do I get it where it is should be?

Excuse me if I seem like a rookie...I just got this bike a month ago...not new to motorcycles, but I am new to Harleys.

I noticed last week while hitting a couple bumpy spots on the interstate that the forks seemed spongy and they were hitting kind of hard. Tech at HD said I should drain the forks and go with a heavier fork oil. Planned on doing that this weekend.

Took the wife for a ride yesterday, and the whole bike seemed to jar kind of hard when we hit any bumpy spots in the road...it was definetly abnormal. There are no leaks around the forks...and the front and rear suspension is completely stock. I weigh 185, and my wife is 140. So, we're not a couple of porkers putting too much weight on the bike.

Suggestions?

Don't have any suggestions but I will say that I had a 2011 Dyna Super Super Glide Custom and it did the same thing and that was just with me on it... Not a big guy by no means, 175 at the time and had it jar my teeth a few times on hitting a substantial dip or bump.

I don't know how to adjust the preload on the rear shock, but I'm willing to give it a try. How do I find out where it is set now, and then how do I get it where it is should be?

There's holes around the bottom of the shocks. A "C" shaped spanner fits into one of the holes. Beneath the cover is a ramp with notches. One direction puts more preload on the spring making it stiffer, and the other makes it softer. You can only go so far either way. Experiment solo and with passenger. If the Dyna's come with a toolkit, you may have this tool. Not too hard to make something from your tool box work. Link shows several kinds.
motorcycle shock spanner | eBay

Last edited:
Breeze has you covered here.

May I add my opinion here also,
A simple, single spanner wrench from the HD Dealer near you and Nothing Fancy Needed... Simple, One Piece spanner is easier to use and store...

One thing you should know is BOTH shocks are adjustable to "set", BUT

KEEP them at the "SAME" setting on each shock. Both sides the "SAME" on the pre-load give SAFE support.

On my FXDS's Dyna's I have owned (2), the shocks had a 5 position ratchet settings (4 different tension settings of pre-load on the spring)...

I Used the 5th spot (Most pre-load) when riding double and went down a notch when riding single.

I found that in later rides single, I just left the rear shocks at the Hardest (5) position, and that worked fine...I being the heaver weight (200#):D

Careful to not scratch the bike or shock when making this adjustment. One Notch at a time.. They can POP into the next setting Fast. I used Both hands to hold the wrench, one on the handle and the other as a cover over the spanner area to keep it from Jumping when changes in position were made.

I'd BET, You will like the "Most" setting for the two-up rides:D

As far as the front, I would keep it the way it is for right now, Latter you can decide a change out the oil to a one step up Heavier IF you find it necessary..

Heaver oil WILL make for a stiffer ride... IF HOT in your area when you will ride,,, Maybe ok but IF rides are in cooler temp, that makes it Rough.

Heavier,Not always the way to go. IMO

2200 is VERY LOY miles,good find, Lucky You.

signed....BUBBIE

Breeze has you covered here.

May I add my opinion here also,
A simple, single spanner wrench from the HD Dealer near you and Nothing Fancy Needed... Simple, One Piece spanner is easier to use and store...

One thing you should know is BOTH shocks are adjustable to "set", BUT

KEEP them at the "SAME" setting on each shock. Both sides the "SAME" on the pre-load give SAFE support.

On my FXDS's Dyna's I have owned (2), the shocks had a 5 position ratchet settings (4 different tension settings of pre-load on the spring)...

I Used the 5th spot (Most pre-load) when riding double and went down a notch when riding single.

I found that in later rides single, I just left the rear shocks at the Hardest (5) position, and that worked fine...I being the heaver weight (200#):D

Careful to not scratch the bike or shock when making this adjustment. One Notch at a time.. They can POP into the next setting Fast. I used Both hands to hold the wrench, one on the handle and the other as a cover over the spanner area to keep it from Jumping when changes in position were made.

I'd BET, You will like the "Most" setting for the two-up rides:D

As far as the front, I would keep it the way it is for right now, Latter you can decide a change out the oil to a one step up Heavier IF you find it necessary..

Heaver oil WILL make for a stiffer ride... IF HOT in your area when you will ride,,, Maybe ok but IF rides are in cooler temp, that makes it Rough.

Heavier,Not always the way to go. IMO

2200 is VERY LOY miles,good find, Lucky You.

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE

that was some very straightforward, useful information. Greatly Appreciated. I'm gonna have a buddy come over tonight and we'll fool with it. I wasn't real concerned with it at first, because my wife was never one to ride on the back of a bike with me. Bought the Harley a month ago, took her for a ride last Sunday, and yesterday she wanted me to take us out to lunch and dinner ON THE BIKE. So, I need to address the suspension issue if she wants to keep riding with me.

I live in Alabama, and it can get HOT here, so I'm gonna change out the fluid and go a lil heavier.

BUBBIE

that was some very straightforward, useful information. Greatly Appreciated. I'm gonna have a buddy come over tonight and we'll fool with it. I wasn't real concerned with it at first, because my wife was never one to ride on the back of a bike with me. Bought the Harley a month ago, took her for a ride last Sunday, and yesterday she wanted me to take us out to lunch and dinner ON THE BIKE. So, I need to address the suspension issue if she wants to keep riding with me.

I live in Alabama, and it can get HOT here, so I'm gonna change out the fluid and go a lil heavier.

THANKS for the Kind Words, My pleasure to Help you out...

You MIGHT think on a seat change.

On my FXDS's I switched to a saddle like seat (tractor looking) Mustang was the best in Comfort and Price.

Best 450$ i spent on a one piece seat that was REALLY comfortable for me as well as my Bride.:D

Keep it Comfortable and SAFE, she will love to ride with you:newsmile064:

Look at seats, that made the BIGGEST difference in the comfort area.

Stop OFTEN before necessary and take a break.. she will love you for that...

signed....BUBBIE

On my Dyna when i bought it i found that the two shocks had different settings on the pre-load i just made both the same at the hardest setting turn the c spanner clockwise to up the pre-load
if they have not been adjusted for a few years you may find the adjusters do not want to move and a wee spray of penetrating fluid around the adjusters may help just give it a wee bit of time to do its work

Brian

Back