free website stats program Suspected Exhaust Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Suspected Exhaust Leak

ultraj

Has anyone gone through this problem? I have a 2001 ultra classic and it sounds like there is an exhaust leak somewhere. HD says it could be the crossover tube or the intake seals behind the throttle body. When at an idle and with just a little increase of throttle it has a whistle which goes away with RPM's. Does this sound like anyone has run into?
Thanks,
Ultraj

ultraj; see if you can pinpoint any leaks - look for black soot, or feel for air leaks (carefully). I've used "canned smoke" to locate air leaks (normally for smoke detector tests) which is safer than matches (fuel + flame = boom). Mostly concentrate at exhaust joints, clamps & connections b/c this is your most likely fail points. Good luck!

ultraj; see if you can pinpoint any leaks - look for black soot, or feel for air leaks (carefully). I've used "canned smoke" to locate air leaks (normally for smoke detector tests) which is safer than matches (fuel + flame = boom). Mostly concentrate at exhaust joints, clamps & connections b/c this is your most likely fail points. Good luck!

Like the Iceman wrote above, except for a possible crack at that weak spot on the Y of the rear pipe. It will be under the heat shield. Mine was about 1 1/4" long and about 1/16" across!! I was surprised to see that. New pipe I think was around $160 or so.

TQ

Thanks for your help, I will check that out when I get out of work.

I checked out the exhaust "Y" pipe and it had two cracks in it, replaced it and found out that the intake seals could also cause the same noise. I had the intake seals replaced and I still have the whistling noise when I first take off, am still checking for possible causes.
Thanks for your help.:worthy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help, I will check that out when I get out of work.

I checked out the exhaust "Y" pipe and it had two cracks in it, replaced it and found out that the intake seals could also cause the same noise. I had the intake seals replaced and I still have the whistling noise when I first take off, am still checking for possible causes.
Thanks for your help.:worthy

Try getting some heavy gloves or some old towels and fold them up to use to block the exhaust pipes. Listen for a source of another exhaust leak. Helps to have a helper.

TQ

Try getting some heavy gloves or some old towels and fold them up to use to block the exhaust pipes. Listen for a source of another exhaust leak. Helps to have a helper.

TQ

Welding gloves and a thick piece of card board, cover one pipe at a time and listen for sound to change:s

Back