free website stats program Suspect Headlamp wiring pulling battery dwn | Harley Davidson Forums

Suspect Headlamp wiring pulling battery dwn

Scooterbum

Found a black wire w/fm connector loose behind light housing. Looking for thread tips and or pic help where it belongs appreciate any feed back. 97 E-Glide Classic, Thanks

Is it totally loose?
If unattached, I don't see how it could be pulling down your voltage.
Different models of bikes sometimes have extra wires for other options.
Makes building them at the factory easier.

I agree with above.
We need more detail on your battery being "pull down". Extra connector could very easily be a feature or domestic model addition.

Bad battery was trashed, Two weeks after I replaced it’s drained. Completing all the checks I find there is a slow pull on the battery. By coincidence my head lamp was intermittently showing high beam on the dash w/no lamp at start up.
Then noticing the lamp connection is bit loose and frail I was concern weather any of the three wires would have something involved with the drain. Two give strong conductivity w/one intermittently. While looking I find a loose wire w/a cap/boot this would make since for accessory, another black wire has an open female feeding from the side unattached. Harley parts are very high priced for me to get so I like try be sure.
Thanks for the help.

Completing all the checks I find there is a slow pull on the battery. By coincidence my head lamp was intermittently showing high beam on the dash w/no lamp at start up.

Thanks for the help.

You first need to isolate which circuit branch off the main feed is responsible for the slow drain. You did not state how you determined it was a "key off" drain. You need to place an amp-meter in line with a battery terminal, then one at a time pull fuses until you find the branch that is causing the problem. From there looking at a schematic will tell you the few things it can possible be.

Right now you don't know if you have 1 or 2 different problems. Leave fixing the bucket wiring for later. First find the source (or at least the branch) of your "key off" drain using an amp-meter. If the branch INCLUDES the headlight bucket, then proceed with fixing that issue.

Back