free website stats program surging @ low RPMs | Harley Davidson Forums

surging @ low RPMs

williamkelley

My Heritage runs great until the fuel drops to about 3/4 full, then the engine starts surging and jumps. I always put high octane fuel in it, and when this problem starts, I fill it back up and it runs great again. Can you help me?

Stop laughing Glider. :p

I have to admit, I have been a wrench on auto's for decades and the HD world is totally different from year to year to model to model. It amazes me.
When someone posts a problem, I can only relate to an '09 Dyna. What good is that.
This HD world is really an exciting science in itself!:p

i just went through a efi fuel line leakage in the tank. bike spits, sputters but there's a sure fire indication. with the fuel tank around half full, turn on switch, then hit the run switch, if the fuel pump changes pitch or it makes a hissing sound it's the line from the fuel pressure valve to the quick disconnect. part cost's $34. it's a lot easier to fix than the service manual directions. if it's that line it can be fixed without taking out the fuel pump, but does require the tank to be drained.

i just went through a efi fuel line leakage in the tank. bike spits, sputters but there's a sure fire indication. with the fuel tank around half full, turn on switch, then hit the run switch, if the fuel pump changes pitch or it makes a hissing sound it's the line from the fuel pressure valve to the quick disconnect. part cost's $34. it's a lot easier to fix than the service manual directions. if it's that line it can be fixed without taking out the fuel pump, but does require the tank to be drained.

UH, are you going to tell us how?:newsmile040:

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

It helps if you have a service manual. My bike was an 06 deuce. Other bikes have different setup. Once you've determined it's that hose, drain fuel from tank. Remove the panel on the tank under the dash. Lift slightly to determine if fuel float is attached to panel if the fuel level is attached that will have to be taken off. If not panel can be lifted enough to cut the ear clamp attached to the fuel pressure valve. slide the hose off. I raise the rear tire on my bike to make sure the residual gas in the tank was at the front of the tank. Remove the fuel line from the quick disconnect at the small end of the tank. Loosen the quick disconnect from the tank and pull out fitting and hose as one unit. Having worked in tanks before, when you insert the new hose into the tank, push it in so that you can grab the end that will connect to the pressure relief. i used a string and a screw from the panel to hold it up while tightened the quick disconnect in the tank. Once that is tightened, you can now reattach the end to the pressure relief. I used a mini stainless steel worm clamp. If you have the pliers for the ear clamp you can used that.

The reason you can't connect the pressure relief end first is, the quick relief end and the new hose comes pressed together. The hose has to be loose so it can twist while tightening the quick disconnect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back