free website stats program Surging after stage i | Harley Davidson Forums

Surging after stage i

kman

I just finished the SE stage I with Rinehart slip ons. My 09 Ultra is surging between 800 & 1200. I called the service dept who did the download to ask what the rpm should be on cold start up and they told me 1500, until bike warms up. I then told them of my situation and they changed their tune to say that range is normal. I have less than 150 miles and have had more than 6 bikes, not one of them EFI. It sound like the bike is searching for the right mix. What can I do to fix this problem.

I bet the bike surged even before the Stage 1. The only way I was able to get rid of that nasty surge was to re-map it myself with the SERT and run open loop. Running in closed loop mode (using O2 senors) I can't see how you can get the surge out. The dealer is certainly not going to do that for you.

Hoop!

I don't have the answer to this but I can tell you that I put a set of slip-ons on my bike and had the Stage 1 download done and my bike didn't/doesn't surge at all. There is an answer and I have a feeling it has nothing to do with what you've done to the bike. Hopefully others will comment as well. These guys really have all the answers. What you've done to your bike is the most basic of mods.

Thanks smkinnan, I have the same opinion. My bike didn't surge before the upgrade. I only had the bike for a day before doing the upgrade, it ran perfect. something is not right and hopefully i'll get some insight through this site.

Cheers and safe riding.

Rineharts are very free flowing exhaust.iIt is possible your idle air control is trying to make adjustments for the new download and that is where the surge is coming from.just a guess.

It is possible your idle air control is trying to make adjustments for the new download and that is where the surge is coming from.just a guess.

That's Exactly where it is coming from. I misunderstood and did not see the RPM range that the surge was at (800-1200). Your right a "Hunting Idle speed" would be the IAC stepper. My brain (or lack of) read it as a "cruise surging" which it absolutely was not.
Plz Forget what I wrote earlier.

Hoop!

Try this "Reset procedure": This might fix your high idle problem with 09 bike.

Turn the "Run" switch on the right handlebar to the run position.
Turn ignition switch to "On" for five seconds.
Turn ignition switch off and count to ten.
Repeat procedure three more times, being sure to count to ten each time.

A cold, fuel injected bike should start up around 1200-1500 rpms. When warm it should idle 950-1000 rpm.
Hope this works; if not, it can not hurt anything.

I just finished the SE stage I with Rinehart slip ons. My 09 Ultra is surging between 800 & 1200. I called the service dept who did the download to ask what the rpm should be on cold start up and they told me 1500, until bike warms up. I then told them of my situation and they changed their tune to say that range is normal. I have less than 150 miles and have had more than 6 bikes, not one of them EFI. It sound like the bike is searching for the right mix. What can I do to fix this problem.

Thanks smkinnan, I have the same opinion. My bike didn't surge before the upgrade. I only had the bike for a day before doing the upgrade, it ran perfect. something is not right and hopefully i'll get some insight through this site.

Cheers and safe riding.

Now time out! You have a new bike that you had up-graded to Stage 1 at a Dealership, and are now having problems?? Take the bike back to the offending Dealership today, and DEMAND that they get it right!! You just forked out around 20k ++. You should expect that a simple Stage 1 upgrade will be done right and work perfectly. Don't fiddle with the engine yourself at this point, or THAT will be the reason the Dealership will use to explain why THEIR work is substandard!

TQ

Exactly what TQuentin said-- take it back to the dealer for the fix-- even if it is only the ignition "on/off" sequence that will be done.

If the dealer is 3 hours away then you can have a good ride there and back!

Regards,
AR

I put the slip on pipes and the backing plate on myself (the dealer ship wantes 1.5 hours labour @ $125.00/hr) I have built three bikes from the ground up. I'm not a certified mechanic, but have done more years wrenching than my wife would care to talk about. Love my garage, scoots and trucks. I did call the dealership and the service dept rep tried to downplay the situation, I didn't lose my lid, but by the end of the conversation I ended it by saying "that I will bring the bike in and would like to have it running the way it did when I purchased the day before". Hopefully I will get the same service and attention on this situation as I did when they were trying to sell me the bike. Wish me luck.

Back