free website stats program surge at steady throttle | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

surge at steady throttle

Thanks guys for your input you have given me several things to look at. I am out of town til Saturday I will check the things that you all suggested and up date you then.....Joe

Ok getting my new, to me, sportster running pretty good now thanks to the help of you guys on the forum. I now have one more thing that bothers me. That is when riding at a steady pace say 50mph it gets a slight surge. Just enough to be annoying. To review....my bike is a 2000 1200XLH with a Mukini HSR carb. Since I have had it (about a month now) I have had idle problems which I cured with a rejet and adjustment of the pilot air screw. I also had trouble with the carb overflowing which was cured with a new float needle and float level adjustment. Also had some brake problems which were taken care of by a brake fluid flush. I am wondering if the surge could be related to an adjustment of the accelerator pump or possible vac leak at the intake. Also the VOES switch has been removed from the bike and I don't understand why! Is there some reason why this would be removed? The bike runs great with plenty of power. It starts and runs great but this surge is annoying!
Just wanted to update everyone that helped on this post. I replaced the gaskets on the intake and installed a VOES, I found out my bike has the stock ignition but that some one had taken the VOES off. Bike is running like it should now

This may not be your problem but I had a Honda once that would get what felt like a surge at steady speed and it always turned out to be the chain. Stretched more in one place than others I guess. I put four chains on that thing and each and every time that feeling of a surge was my clue the chain was shot.

Back