free website stats program Sure is expensive... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sure is expensive...

We only have one HD dealer in out city....
Next one is 2 hrs away.

These guys are expensive , but they do excellent work.
I would rather pay extra for quality work than not.

It took 2 weeks to get the tires mounted.
I developed a leak in one of my forks late June. If I booked an appointment then, the waiting list would be 2 month.

These guys are good and there are people coming from all over the place to get work done.

It about supply and demand and with more customers than they can handle, they can demand what ever labour charges they want.

For years I never had time to do my own services of any kind it was workon it or ride it.
Now I have more time I do a lot my self on the bikes but still take them in for a service just to let some else look it over see what I missed.
if I had to wait more than a couple days for service I would get real good at working on it.

Thats why I'm on this site.
I am learning real fast.

Special thanks to you, Glider,Hobbit and Fisher for all the help so far.

I feel you pain on paying a dealer to do the work. As you said they do good work so peace of mind may be worth the money. I am diabled and living on a fixed income. I recently had to have new tires put on my Harley FLHS. After checking all the catalogs and finding good deals I still bought from my Harley Dealer. I was assured of recently manufactured tires. I bought the bearings there also plus the seals. My son mounted the tires on the wheels and the dealer balanced the tires. If I had the money I would have bought the sealed bearings. No bearing is specially built for an application. The motorcycle is built to fit the bearings. So sealed bearings are readily available from Harley to an auto parts. Just measure your stock bearings and have them apply the dimensions to the sealed ones. Spacing is tricky so chose a good mechanic. Fossil

Well I am happy to report that I get the 30,000 mile service done and completed. Brake pads looked ok, so I did not change them out.

The total cost of the service was $140.00 bucks. That was the Engine Oil, Trans Oil, Primary Oil, HD Primary Inspection Cover Gasket, HD Derby Gasket, HD Oil o-ring, HD trans o-ring, HD primary o-ring, HD Air Filter, HD Oil Filter and HD Sparkplugs. Everything I got from HD except the Fluids.

Now here is the interesting part. Back in May I had this local cycle shop do the 25,000 mile service that cost me like 260.00 some dollars. I went down the check list, and got the bike back sent the B trip to zero and said "Ok. next 5000 miles will be the next service." When I picked the bike up, it ran ok. I could not tell any difference in sound or the way it ran.

So this time around, I figure since I got the service manual I was going to do this service myself. Now for years I rode HD back in the 70, and 80s. When AMF was making them. I did my own service, and I was a Mech. for Honda for years. Had all my tools and such. So I figure I was save myself a couple bucks and do this one myself. Took pretty much the day, but I was in no hurry, and took my time to make sure it was done right.

So here I am draining the oil and Trans at the sametime and I look at the plugs from the oil pan. I almost like crapped my pants. I could not for the life of me believe what was on that drain plug. There was so much goop and crap on that plug, and the O-Ring was like....I can't explain it. It was like you could not even make it out. It looked like it had never been changed. I was like just awe struck, and I went and got the camera and took pictures. I showed the wife and she could not believe it. So right then and there I began to think. Did they even change the oil? Did they change the Trans? Did they even do the service on the bike at all? Man all this was running thru my head and thought. Holy cow. I spend almost 300 bucks for this? Man I was mad a heck.

So I got over it and continued the service. I did everything according to the service manual and did not miss anything. I adjusted the Primary Chain, Clutch, everything. Check Belt, brakes, changed plugs. I did everything that I was able to do. I cleaned the drain plugs, and got all that goop off the plugs and put them back according to specs. New O-rings the works. When I cranked it up and road around the block, I was like....WOW This is a whole new bike. It runs so much quiter, and just felt like it had alot more response to the twist of the throttle. I now have great oil pressure, way better than before. It's awesome. NEVER NEVER NEVER again will I trust any local cycle shop to do my service again.

Which brings me to this thought. I was talking with a friend of mine that lives in the same hood as I do. He has a 2005 Road King. We were talking and I mentioned "hey we should have something like a tech session. Were people can bring their bikes over and we could do like oil changes, trans primary or put some after market stuff on their bikes for free. Also get to meet the locals and just have a good time. You know Beer, cokes, and the such." Sounded like a good idea to me. Oh well a thought.

I have to thank HD Talking forum for alot of info that I got from ya'll. When good mechanics get on here and share their wealth of info, that is priceless. I will post photos of the drain plug. It just blew me away. Sorry for the long winded post, but I just had to share.

There's a good chance things could have been missed or overlooked on the services you had done. It wouldn't be the first time and certainly not the last either.
This is why it's best to do it yourself even if it's only for peace of mind knowing that it was done.

Glad you got the hang of the service and are looking to help others out to.

Thanks Glider. That on post I saw where the young lady did her service, and I thought. Man if she can do it then I can to. Plus I have the know how and have done it before. I kept thinking. I can do this. Heck I trained on motorcycles.

Oh Problem I have is this.....I have not told wife that I used her small funnel and her pour spout measuring cup.:newsmile055:...So if you don't hear from me for awhile, asume the worst and send out SWAT.:taunt.

One question glider. Do you know where that post is of a way to measure the free play on the primary chain? I know I saw something some where about making your own. I adjusted mine, and I think I have the correct free play on the chain, but I sure would like to know for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks Glider. That on post I saw where the young lady did her service, and I thought. Man if she can do it then I can to. Plus I have the know how and have done it before. I kept thinking. I can do this. Heck I trained on motorcycles.

Oh Problem I have is this.....I have not told wife that I used her small funnel and her pour spout measuring cup.:newsmile055:...So if you don't hear from me for awhile, asume the worst and send out SWAT.:taunt.

That was Joyflyin, she's an exceptional person for sure, BUT you should be able to do it yourself with a minimum of fuss as long as you take your time.

Besides, I woun't tell about the funnel :naughty

Back