free website stats program Suggestions to Start....... | Harley Davidson Forums

Suggestions to Start.......

Harrington77

I am sure you have had this question over and over, but it happened to me and I need to get out and ride.

My bike was working just fine, I went on a nice long ride, came home, parked it, and worked the next day. I went to ride the following day and then something went wrong.

I turned over the key, ON position, then I saw the lights fade and when I switched to run, I didnt hear anything. I also didnt here anything when I hit start.

I first thought maybe my battery was dead for some reason, or that I may have a loose connection. So I went to charge the battery and I have a fully charged battery. I reconnected the battery, made sure it was all good and checked the fuse, that looks good also. Still the bike has no power........ No lights, sounds, nothing at all.

I tried the key FOB to make sure it wasnt security related, but no luck there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what steps to take next? I am going to go ahead and buy a new fuse just incase, but maybe I have something else going on.

Thanks!!!!

Check fuse connection too. It may have corrosion in the fuse socket.

Bodeen

Check the starter connections and the starter bolts some times they will loosen a bit, you may have lost the ground at the starter

The fact that you indicated that all the electrical systems seemed to fade out when you switched to START leads me to believe it is an electrical problem. I would suggest the following:
  1. Remove the battery and take it to an autoparts store for a load test
  2. Remove BOTH end of both battery cables and clean the mating surfaces with a wire brush
  3. Resecure the battery (negative terminal last)
  4. Check the ground points under the seat and throughout the bike to make sure all are tight
  5. Try starting again
This may have solved the problem. If not, try using jumper cable from the positive terminal to the starter post, and from the negative terminal to the starter mounting bolt. Try again. If this works, replace your battery cables.

Let us know what happens after trying the above, and the symptoms you have if these are unsuccessful.

TQ

Back