Suggestions for cam in 96

Discussion in 'Harley Davidson Extreme Modification' started by dlfidler, May 22, 2012.

1. dlfidler

dlfidler Member

Good morning Looking for suggestions for cam choices ( confusing subject) I run a 2008 ultra classic, stage 1, V&H true duels with monster ovals, V&H FuelPak & big sucker ac. 80% of riding 2 up, 10% pulling a trailer. Need more torque & more power, run under 3500 rpm. Thanks

2. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

Sounds like the HD SE255's would fit the bill nicely. The 255's worked well in my 08 Heritage with the same riding style minus the trailer.

3. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

+1 on the SE 255's.

4. dlfidler

dlfidler Member

Thanks guys looks like SE 255's, should I change push rods or can I stay stock. What about chain, I haven't seen checked to see if 08's have cam tensioners if it does should I upgrade? Thanks again

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Now would be a good time to change the push rods, the 08 models have the upgraded hydraulic chain tensioners already installed from the factory

6. dlfidler

dlfidler Member

Thanks Jack What do you suggest?

7. gamspaugh

gamspaugh Member

I jave the same set up in my ultra and it pulls like a truck though the gears esp 2 up however i suggest you get rid of the fuel pak and go with a more adjustable efi unit like a pc 3 or 5 or tfi unit Also dont forget to change out the inner cam bearings with the torrington b68 bearings

Peace