free website stats program Sugar in gas tank! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sugar in gas tank!

Hot (boiling) water will clean sugar. Not much other will.

(Years back when I had the Ford tractor dealership an old gent had feed grade molasses in his barn for sweeting cattle feed and mistakenly poured it into the trans of his Ford 861. Trans, hydraulics and rear axle share common fluid. We had to totally tear everything down and steam clean it all in the middle of the winter.)

Leave a little sugar in the tank. It will make for a real sweet riding bike, really.:s

Last edited:
Sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline. It will plug the filter. If you don't use a filter, and the sugar gets into the engine, it will carbonize on the cylinder walls until there is no piston to cylinder clearance. I've see an old VW bug with a seized engine many years ago. VW didn't use a filter with the old bug. When I was finally able to pry the cylinders off and saw all that brown coating on the cylinder walls, we looked inside the carburetor and saw sugar hardened to the accelerator orfice and inside the acceleration pump. I tasted the brown color on the cylinder walls and it tasted sweet. We had to pull the gas tank out, flush the tank, the fuel line and the fuel pump. We also installed a fuel filter. My recommendationn for the final flush of the tank and hoses would be one gallon of alcohol purchased from a hardware store...about $13.

Back