free website stats program Sugar in gas tank! | Harley Davidson Forums

Sugar in gas tank!

purplehazeultra

Bike was sold due to a separation. I got it from the second owner. Bike went to the Harley Dealer for issues before I could even test ride it. They replaced the fuel pump ( remember that) Test drove it fell in love with it and bought it. Bike had 4000 miles. Ran great until 10000 miles or so started missing once in awhile. Took the fuel filter off and could not even see how it would run.:bigsmiley28: I went back to the dealer Battlefield Harley Gettysburg Pa. ask them to look the bike up to see what work was performed. First time in was (first owner) for to check for vandalism and possible debris in gas tank. I ask if the found anything he told me no. The second time it was in (second owner) for a fuel pump. I ask if they put a fuel filter on he said no. Needless to say I would not take anything to this dealer. I have around 15000 miles on it now and have it apart for some mods. I took the tank off drained and after it dried out I think sugar was put in it. I need to clean it and would like some advice on the best way. I was going to put it in the tub ( my wife will love that) and use hot water and soap. Any other ideas????:cheers

not too sure i would bring a fuel tank in the house what with fumes, cooking and heaters running. there are many types of cleaners availale. i use something called enviro-solv. don't know if it is available outside of power houses or boiler rooms. this stuff is EXPENSIVE! i got it from a friend. it only takes about 3 or 4 tablespoons in water to clean very well. i'm about 2 hrs. from york. will meet you in lancaster if you want. pm me. kevin

Bike was sold due to a separation. I got it from the second owner. Bike went to the Harley Dealer for issues before I could even test ride it. They replaced the fuel pump ( remember that) Test drove it fell in love with it and bought it. Bike had 4000 miles. Ran great until 10000 miles or so started missing once in awhile. Took the fuel filter off and could not even see how it would run.:bigsmiley28: I went back to the dealer Battlefield Harley Gettysburg Pa. ask them to look the bike up to see what work was performed. First time in was (first owner) for to check for vandalism and possible debris in gas tank. I ask if the found anything he told me no. The second time it was in (second owner) for a fuel pump. I ask if they put a fuel filter on he said no. Needless to say I would not take anything to this dealer. I have around 15000 miles on it now and have it apart for some mods. I took the tank off drained and after it dried out I think sugar was put in it. I need to clean it and would like some advice on the best way. I was going to put it in the tub ( my wife will love that) and use hot water and soap. Any other ideas????:cheers
If it is sugar then your right. Washing it out with water from a hose and then using a small amount of liquid detergent and water shake for a while and then rinse well with water. A few shakes with "white water" kerosene (lamp fuel) ~ a cup will take out the remaining water and let air dry with an air hose or time should fix you up. Make sure you clean out the lines and add a small amt. of fuel injector cleaner when you refill with gas.

all sounds good
They had a part on the TV show MythBuster and tried sugar in the gas tank. It ran just fine, did not cause any problems.
Could be something else.

How would they protect paint at radiator shop?
wilks3

Ya, that would be my main concern also. The last thing I want is for some ham fisted, knuckle draggin dude to be man handling my gas tank around. If the shop owner was a biker, that might be different. When I have had problems with gas tanks in the past, I always flushed them out with a couple of big bottles of isopropyl alchohol from the drug store. Shake well and turn upside down. Much safer than sloshing around a quart of gasoline.

I would replace the gas lines with new ones, Have the carb cleaned or the injectors. Wash the tank with boiling water, then a rinse with clean gas an let dry. Inspect for any residue an repeat if necessary. be glad it wasn,t a egg good luck !:D

all sounds good
They had a part on the TV show MythBuster and tried sugar in the gas tank. It ran just fine, did not cause any problems.
Could be something else.

I think (know ) the problem was the surgar blocked up the filter and the motor was starving for fuel. I don't think it did any damage to the motor I hope. It ran like a new bike when I put a new filter on it. But since I have the tank off I thought it would be A good idea to try to clean out the tank.
As far as taking to someone I really would rather do it myself.
Thanks for all the feedback this site is great.:bigsmiley16:

Back