free website stats program Sudden front slip: scared! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sudden front slip: scared!

As far as not bring able to regain traction, you scrub speed as you slide and can save it.

Research that statement. You don't scrub speed as you slide. Sure, given enough TIME you will scrub speed. But the amount of time you have is LESS than the time it takes for a bike to hit the pavement if it was standing still and you were to let go of it. At 1 G force, how long does it take to travel 4 feet. That's not very much time.

Cagers throw all kinds of garbage out their windows. My bet is on some garbage, oil or maybe a banana peel.:Banane21::banana-bye:hititbanana::Banane10::bananapowerslide:

Had that feeling a few times turning on overpass bridges. That k-rail is pretty slick sometimes. Put the 880E tires on and felt a big difference. The grip great. As far as mileage goes, not sure yet but since this is my only mode of transportation, it won't take too long for me to find out.

Well, thank you all for your response.
What I'm gonna do this upcoming weekend will be visually checking the front tyre, check once again the pressure (2.0 front, 2.5 rear) and have another test ride (if the weather will be fine... but I doubt it! :()

Anyway, I'm tempted to change tyre brand when replacing my tyres.
Gonna search around for comparisons.

Ciao
Ugo

There is a Tire Pole out here, I would check that out. Each one of us has our own opinions on tires. I have Dunlop Screamin' Eagle tires (no reason, just got the wide tire kit , then had a screw in my front tire and decided to replace with a matching one).

Odd, thing, just got the same feeling last night and it shook me up too. I ride this section of rode, with lots of tar snakes on it, to and from work all the time. Coming hom last night hit the turn about 60 and just felt this horrible wobble, or slide or something. Did not give me that peaceful feeling and thankfully it never did that again the last 10 miles of the ride. Checked my tire pressure again this morning, all bolts and everything looked good so snakes must have been the problem.

Tire POLL - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Hoople, I did see that and I am intrigued to say the least. Just too much stuff to do to the bike and not quite deep enough pockets.

In this case I believe it was a slip which then caused some instability, going into a wobble, no doubt the true-trac may have helped, it is on my list of things...New Exhaust, Saddlebags, passenger seat and sissy bar, true-trac. Have to get some of this other stuff first, tired of carrying the back back and my thunderheaders are starting to look pretty rusty, then add the fact that my kid is getting older, my wife is no longer (and will no longer be) pregnant, so time to set up for 2-up sometime soon. Ahh the fun is just beginning. Now if only I could retire comfortably 30 years early :D

Research that statement. You don't scrub speed as you slide. Sure, given enough TIME you will scrub speed. But the amount of time you have is LESS than the time it takes for a bike to hit the pavement if it was standing still and you were to let go of it. At 1 G force, how long does it take to travel 4 feet. That's not very much time.

I'm talking real life, not in thoery. Obviosly youve never ran a bike to the edge of the tires capabilities and beyond. If you don't panic and chop the throttle, you can ride it out. Try watching some roadracing and you'll see plenty of ft. and rr tires sliding.

I'm talking real life, not in thoery. Obviosly youve never ran a bike to the edge of the tires capabilities and beyond. If you don't panic and chop the throttle, you can ride it out. Try watching some roadracing and you'll see plenty of ft. and rr tires sliding.

Maybe so. Your correct to say I am new at two wheel riding because I am. But physics and math have always prevailed for me in the past and I can't see them letting me down this time either.

I think it may be in the terms we are using. "Sliding" ,, "Hop" and "skidding" . Sliding does mean (to me) your at the edge of loosing traction. And YES, you can scrub off forward velocity without going down. A "hop" means you exceeded the coefficient of friction on the surface you are now on, and you BETTER be running into a surface that has a higher coefficient of friction real soon or else it is all over. A Skid to me means the friction bond has broken and your velocity is now actually increasing.

If your in a large sweeping turn and the bike is leaning over say at 20* off vertical, the only thing holding you up is the vector force driven into the contact point of the tires to the pavement. If you loose that, the bike will make contact with the ground at a rate of 1G. (give or take a few mph).

I understand what your trying to tell me, and your correct. You CAN slide and scrub speed safely. I think I am looking at your "sliding" as really a "hop" or temporary "skid" and that's where you can't scrub speed.

The best tire I have ran for wear and gripping the road/ride(wet too) is the Dunlop E3. I have tired a few different tires. To me the stock Dunlop tires where the worst. I rank the Metzler Me880's good for grip and ride but bad for wear. I have never heard anyone say they use to run E3's.

Back