free website stats program Sudden Backfire and Loss of Power | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sudden Backfire and Loss of Power

I would go with the "Bad Gas" for now. If it doesn't run right after the gas has passed and it continues bad , I would suspect the "crank sensor" or the "cam sensor". If it has cam one?
I think it does ? not sure what year that "cam sensor" dropped?

On Gliders "Crank Sensor" reads, Some of the symptoms is what yours shows, And many other things could be wrong. I would start with Gas and work down. Adding to the list if needed later.

signed....BUBBIE

I would go with the "Bad Gas" for now. If it doesn't run right after the gas has passed and it continues bad , I would suspect the "crank sensor" or the "cam sensor". If it has cam one?
I think it does ? not sure what year that "cam sensor" dropped?

On Gliders "Crank Sensor" reads, Some of the symptoms is what yours shows, And many other things could be wrong. I would start with Gas and work down. Adding to the list if needed later.

signed....BUBBIE
You know? That is the problem with these new-fangled HDs. When everything is working right, they run superbly. When they don't run great, there could be so many things that could be wrong, to cause the same symptoms. I guess an experienced tech can distinguish the subtleties, and do a quick diagnoses, but the majority of us are left with shotgun methods (replace sensors and other stuff till it fixes). Non-shotgun techniques require special tools, adaptors, and test equipment. I have lots of special tools, adaptors, and test equipment. Unfortunately, it is for my vintage audio gear restoration biz. Little of it helps with sweet scooters with issues...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Well, I guess the first rule of troubleshooting is to look for the simplest solution first and work your way up. Thanks for all of the suggestions and help you guys gave me. The winner is...bad gas! I drained all of the old gas and dumped a gallon of fresh premium in her and she runs like a top. I rode her up to the BP and filled her up. Running great.

This site has been and continues to be a great source of help and brotherhood. http://www.hdtimeline.com/images/custom/worthy.gif

I went out tonight after letting the bike sit all day. I cranked it up and it did that sucking pop smoke thing again, then took several cranks to get her started. Then, I couldn't keep it running. it was sucking and popping, then it would die. Sometimes it would pick up like it was going to make it this time and then suck pop die. I started it again and adjusted the TFI green dial to about the 3/4 mark and it kept running. So I took off and it backfired all the way up the driveway. Just as I was going to turn around, it started running normal, so I kept going. It ran pretty good. I got back to the house and turned the TFI back to normal and it kept on running, so I went for another short ride. It backfired once, but without the loss of power. I'm going to let it sit and cool back down and see if it does it again.

Could it just be that I got bad gas? Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know how to check for codes and the injector wires seem to be snapped down tight.
I think the key here is that you said the gas pump was filling real slow. You probably got some water from the bottom of the tank. put in some gas treatment and refill your tank with a load of fresh gas, it might just fix the problem----jack :s

Back