free website stats program Sturgis Report | Harley Davidson Forums

Sturgis Report

USMCCWO5

Anyone care to report their adventures riding to Sturgis and back?

My wife and I rode my 07 RKC punched out to 103 cid.
44.45 miles per gallon
4789 total miles
Rode in eleven states:
California
Nevada
Arizona
Utah
Wyoming
Idaho
Montana
South Dakota
Nebraska
Colorado
New Mexico

Visited Bryce, Zion, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower, Wall Drug, Alladin, WY (Population 15), Custer State Park, Four Corners, Beartooth Mountains, Sedona AZ, Badlands, Spearfish Canyon, Spearfish & Bridal Falls, Deadwood, Hill City, Rapid City, Custer, Sturgis (of course), etc....
2237 miles to Sturgis
1739 to Oceanside
the rest of the mileage riding in and around SD and WY.

Camped in RV parks and National Parks, the worst night was near the Big Horn River in WY (mosquitos as thick as clouds), the best Gros Ventre in the Grand Tetons (woke up with a bison in our camp)

Got rained on three or four times, only once in was it very hard.

Lots of great souvenirs, even greater memories.
- Wheelie with wife on back on highway entrance ramp
- Running out of fuel three miles from gas station
- Met some great people on the road and during stops
- Watching a guy blow up his rear tire in the burn-out pit

Do:
Ride there and back
Remain flexible with planning food and camping stops
Bring a camera
Chatterbox for wife and I to communicate during ride (Xbi, recharged in restrooms at RV and National Parks)

Don't:
Free bike wash (scratched windsheild to prove it)
Trailer (unless that precludes you from attending)

Last edited:
Wow, how long did that trip take? What a way to see the country. Its amazing how many good people you can meet on a trip like that. Love to see some pics.

Wow, how long did that trip take? What a way to see the country. Its amazing how many good people you can meet on a trip like that. Love to see some pics.

Springer; we left CA on 31 July, arrived in Sturgis on 4 August. Left Sturgis on 8 August and arrived back in CA the evening of 10 August.

PICS,PICS,PICS ! wheelie with the miss's !!!! How did you fair on that one?!! :small3d023: Sounds like a heckuva good ride you both had!!!

Wife was surprised that we pulled a wheelie, I didn't get hit but did get a warning.
Pic of American Bison on side of the road.

Attachments

• Sturgis 2008 003.jpg
    Sturgis 2008 003.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 51
On the road 21 days.. Redding CA to Sturgis

Bryce Canyon NP
Capitol Reef NP
Rocky Mountain NP
Scottsbluff NM

Sturgis

Beartooth
Yellowstone NP

4,224 miles...
fuel cost $613.26...
cost 14.5 cents per mile
average of 30.0 miles to the gallon
47 fuel stops

i haven't ben thee sens 86 wont to go back but don't think i can ride it like when i was in my 20s but wont to

i haven't ben thee sens 86 wont to go back but don't think i can ride it like when i was in my 20s but wont to

it won't be the same Sturgis you remember, sorry to say but it's all about the money now.:newsmile093::newsmile093::newsmile055::( you can still find some of the old timers hangn' at the VFW, and the hill climbs are still good, but before or after the rally is when I like to go.

Back