free website stats program Sturgis: beyond and back | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sturgis: beyond and back

Great write up Breeze, I pulled in home last night after logging just under 6k miles, Jeff said if I did not buy a wind shield in Sturgis he would so I did How I made it there with out it I dont know, Was a good trip got to be with my family see my Great Grand Son again and meet up with Breeze and Webtron in Deadwood, It is great to be back home. I hit a bad patch of rain in Macon last night glad I had that windshield:s

Great write up Breeze, I pulled in home last night after logging just under 6k miles, Jeff said if I did not buy a wind shield in Sturgis he would so I did How I made it there with out it I dont know, Was a good trip got to be with my family see my Great Grand Son again and meet up with Breeze and Webtron in Deadwood, It is great to be back home. I hit a bad patch of rain in Macon last night glad I had that windshield:s

I'm glad to see that you are home safe Jack. It was nice seeing you in Deadwood. :bigsmiley23:

Day 9.To Duluth, MN. We beat it down the interstate for a few miles to make up for our plan to stay farther East tonight in Duluth. A nice but unremarkable ride across ND and into MN. Nice lakes and the scenery started changing to the greener East that I’m used to seeing. You are treated to a spectacular view looking down on the city of Duluth and Lake Superior when coming from the West. When we discovered the lake front area lodgings were booked, we headed back uptown and got rooms. Everyone had different plans for the evening, so Geezer and I walked over to the restaurant next to the motel. It turned out to be The Duluth Grill, that was featured on Diners, Drive in’s and Dives on the Food network. We had some really good food and the best Banana cream pie I ever had. Later we had a good visit and turned in early.
Pic of Geezer and I at a gas stop somewhere between Jamestown,ND, and Duluth, MN.

Attachments

• IMAGE_5939A4AD-C488-4233-A2F3-A13383B67508.JPG
    IMAGE_5939A4AD-C488-4233-A2F3-A13383B67508.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 44
Day 10 to Marquette, MI. Geezer left us to take the long way back to Manitoba on his own. It sure was nice riding with him, and the guys all enjoyed meeting him, eh. See you in Salt Springs next Feb. Buddy.
We took some local roads into MI and along Lake Superior. Very remote and wooded with lots of lake views. The roads were kind of bumpy, and we noticed Joker’s front tire was wearing in a scalloped pattern left of center. I had noticed sidewall cracks all around previously (18” Metzler), but not the scallop wear. The smart phone owners in our group found a HD shop in Marquette, that had the proper size tire, and would do a in/out for him, and it was on our route. $227 later, Joker had a new Dunlop 408 on his Street Glide. We decided to stay in Marquette, as it was very remote for a long way East and it was already 4pm. We ordered pizzas and relaxed in the motel yard.

Attachments

• lake superior.JPG
    lake superior.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Sturgis ride 036.JPG
    Sturgis ride 036.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 32
Day11 to Big Rapids, MI. Another cool start to the day, and we left the lake shore and headed to the inland part of the U.P. We had bumpy roads but nice scenery. It was a good thing we stopped last night, because there was nowhere to stay except resort type cottages in the middle of the forest. Most of the houses were small vacation looking types and the towns on the map were basically gas stations (nearly $5 gal. premium).
Even though there was little traffic on the local roads, the road construction signs made it pretty slow going. It seems upper peninsula MI has a lot more road construction signs and orange cones than it has road construction workers, as we only saw one group of workers and fresh pavement. We made it to the Mackinac bridge which had only 1 lane open. We were lucky and went right over the bridge with no delay. We stopped at the obligatory HD shop for shirts (not me) in Mackinaw City, and had a good lunch at the “Keyhole”. We then followed the Eastern side of Lake Michigan for a while, then headed inland when we realized we were behind schedule again. We started hitting rain and pushed on until Big Rapids, MI when we got into a big rain, and we stopped for the night 175 miles short of our goal.
Pics are the group on the North side of the Mackinac bridge, and Toons and Pops enjoying the first cold ones at a motel.

Attachments

• IMAGE_1DBCFE73-BE3B-4962-9217-4A78DC3297AB.JPG
    IMAGE_1DBCFE73-BE3B-4962-9217-4A78DC3297AB.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAGE_61E30A60-BBFC-4275-8018-C3311FF1FD9E.JPG
    IMAGE_61E30A60-BBFC-4275-8018-C3311FF1FD9E.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 34
I'm really enjoying reading your trip write-up Breeze. You should have been an author. :s

I'm really enjoying reading your trip write-up Breeze. You should have been an author. :s

Better yet a movie, I say Brad Pitt should play the part of Breeze!

Thanks guys! I never would have believed how much enjoyment I would get by reliving the trip through words.

Brad Pitt,,,,, think he's handsome enough?? :small3d002:

Hang in there, only two "episodes" left. :newsmile071:

:p I think John Voight should play your part Pete I was going to holler at you when I passed through Georgia on Sunday but i had dropped my phone and cracked it, plus it was down pouring in Macon:p

:p I think John Voight should play your part Pete I was going to holler at you when I passed through Georgia on Sunday but i had dropped my phone and cracked it, plus it was down pouring in Macon:p

Too bad the phone was inop., I'm only 15 miles S. of Macon, and had plenty of room.

Back