free website stats program Sturgis: beyond and back | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sturgis: beyond and back

Thanks Lorne (and others). I'm having almost as much fun writing about the trip as I had on it. The first couple of days home, it was all a blur. Now as I type, I remember details, waitresses, motels and characters we met. I'm waiting for Webtron, Geezer, Jeff and Capitol Jack (when he gets home) to start writing.:bigsmiley23:

Sounds good just don't expect Jack to add to the photos (sorry Jack but sometimes i can't help myself) :D

Wondering if our paths crossed. I was there too and saw a few guys with the Go-Pro's mounted on their helmets. Cool write up.:bigsmiley12:

I can't believe that this is written AFTER the trip. It sounds like you are on it right now. Great details that you remember! Can't wait for the next entry:bigsmiley12:

Wondering if our paths crossed. I was there too and saw a few guys with the Go-Pro's mounted on their helmets. Cool write up.:bigsmiley12:

Welcome to this great forum!!!!!:bigsmiley23:

Nice ride, a tough group for sure. We just got back from our Sturgis trip as well. Did 4500 miles in all, covered CA, NV, WY, CO, SD, and ID. Saw some beautiful country and a lot of desert. Dealt with a lot of heat and a stomach bug for both me and my wife, vomiting through the night until 5:30 AM and on the bike at 8:30 AM riding, my wife was sick and rode through it as well. We rode everyday and had a blast. The bikes ran flawlessly. A trip we will never forget. Our first time in Sturgis, really liked all the venues around Sturgis, especially Deadwood, Hill City, Rapid City and Custer. Did the FTS, but never made it to the Buffalo Chip. We wanted to ride...lol. Will do it againg, but this time will do the coast of CA up through Oregon, Wa and into Canada, then across to Montana and down....geez, wanna get on the bike now!

Nice ride, a tough group for sure. We just got back from our Sturgis trip as well. Did 4500 miles in all, covered CA, NV, WY, CO, SD, and ID. Saw some beautiful country and a lot of desert. Dealt with a lot of heat and a stomach bug for both me and my wife, vomiting through the night until 5:30 AM and on the bike at 8:30 AM riding, my wife was sick and rode through it as well. We rode everyday and had a blast. The bikes ran flawlessly. A trip we will never forget. Our first time in Sturgis, really liked all the venues around Sturgis, especially Deadwood, Hill City, Rapid City and Custer. Did the FTS, but never made it to the Buffalo Chip. We wanted to ride...lol. Will do it againg, but this time will do the coast of CA up through Oregon, Wa and into Canada, then across to Montana and down....geez, wanna get on the bike now!

I wonder what it really is, that makes us ride through discomfort, sickness and inclement weather? I can honestly say I never wished I was in my cage at any point on the trip (ok, maybe for a minute in the rain).
Art, the only notes I took were gas stop figures and locations. I opened a word document and started typing. Memories and details come back in jumbled order and at random. I hadn't planned this, but am enjoying it. I'm sure we would like a "West to East" version of Sturgis,,, big HINT.

Thanks Lorne (and others). I'm having almost as much fun writing about the trip as I had on it. The first couple of days home, it was all a blur. Now as I type, I remember details, waitresses, motels and characters we met. I'm waiting for Webtron, Geezer, Jeff and Capitol Jack (when he gets home) to start writing.:bigsmiley23:

You're doing such a good job Breeze, I don't know what I could add. :s

I might jump in later but you're on a roll and it's hard to top a guys staying less time in the hospital than some of us spend at a rest area.

Day 5 to Rapid City, SD. Morning breaks a little cooler and we head out to the Badlands. Before leaving, Toons tells me he changed the days route a little, but I’m not paying attention very well. When we pass the highway 27 turn to Wounded Knee, I assume (we know what that means) it’s his new plan. Thirty miles farther, we pull over and find that it’s the road OUT of Wounded Knee he changed, not the road TO it. OOPs! Some Redshirt tribe members stop and tell us a shortcut to use to get to The Badlands Nat.Park. Twenty miles farther, we discover, the Redshirts, either don’t know Harley riders don’t like dirt roads, or it’s some sort of joke. We abandon the shortcut and backtrack. The gps doesn’t show any road, other than the one we left to take this shortcut. Instead of signs announcing towns, there are signs for Tribes. Poverty seems to be the norm in the area. The area is dotted with clusters of dilapidated trailers and junk vehicles. Finally we get to the beginning of the badlands. It is very interesting geography. It looks like it has been randomly strip mined. We take a break in a little “ghost town” we came to.We’ve been skirting in and out rain storms all day and the group wants to ride another 100 + miles through the Badlands and stop at Wall Drugs. My gps shows the motel as only 40 miles away and I’m cranky, so I wave them off and head to Rapid City. Joker missed the part about me going to the motel, and thinks something happened, and goes back to check on me. Then he loses the group until a Reservation Policeman tells him “ They went that-away” and he catches up. When I get to Rapid City, I stop at the Super 8 and say we have 4 rooms reserved. Kayla, the very pretty and helpful desk clerk checks and says “not here”. Then she calls every motel on her list to help find where I am supposed to be, with no success. If she would just turn that smile off, maybe I could think straight! I call Toons to leave a voice mail, and luckily catch them on a break, and he answers and sets me straight. It’s the Motel 6 just over the hill. I leave Kayla a gratuity for her help and leave. I arrive at the motel, check in and make a beer run. The group gets in 3 hrs. later. The motel is on high ground and we can see North-East for many miles. Thunder, lightning and rain storms skirt the motel throughout the night. All we get are some good winds, but none of us is used to being able to see so far, and we are fascinated by watching the storm activity around us.

Attachments

• IMAGE_B23791DA-1007-4AE2-8337-9A1DE51479A1.JPG
    IMAGE_B23791DA-1007-4AE2-8337-9A1DE51479A1.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAGE_0196FCD6-89C1-4C10-83C7-5160B67FA4D1.JPG
    IMAGE_0196FCD6-89C1-4C10-83C7-5160B67FA4D1.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 39
Back