free website stats program Sturgis: beyond and back | Harley Davidson Forums

Sturgis: beyond and back

Breeze3at

Experienced Member
I got home from my trip Friday at 4:30 pm. We had some adventures and conflicts, but the 7 of us are still friends. Gone 13 days, rode 4,802 miles, spent $433 for gas @ avg. 43 mpg. MY 2007 Electra Glide Classic performed flawlessly. I made several minor repairs to companions bikes with knowledge from this site. Met Jack, Jeff and Webtron in Deadwood. Met up with and rode with Geezer for 2 days. I'm putting my notes together to try and remember what happened. :bigsmiley12:

Welcome home. Glad you made it home safe. Pic's, lets see them.

Welcome back, glad you had a safe trip. It was my plesure meeting you in Deadwood, wish we could have put some miles behind us while we we're there.

At Jeffs House for dinner, Leaving Mn Friday to ride home to see the Reddhead, I will have 6 K on before I get home, Dissability is on direct deposit I am Good to Go:s

The riders; Toons, Joker, John-Boy and Doc from Brevard County, FL. Scotty from Atlanta, sugar-Pops from Franklin, NC and myself.
The bikes: ’01 Road Glide / 2 ’07 Electra Glide Classics /’07 Street Glide /’08 Heritage / ’09 Electra Glide Std. /’11 Road Glide Ultra ?

Day 1 to Savannah, TN. Toons (Doug), our navigator/point man, is not feeling well, but insists we leave on time. The six of us leave my house on a cool overcast Georgia morning. Toons is point, and I’m sweep for the whole ride. No one else knows or cares about the route, just the ride. We rode County and State roads to NW GA, and into and across NE AL into TN. Dodged most of the summer thunderstorms across the state. At 5 pm, just short of Savannah, our days destination, Toons is not looking good. We push on, to our Motel and meet up with our 7th rider from NC. I ride Toons to the emergency room of the tiny local hospital on the back of my bike. He’s given a catscan or mri, and diagnosed with a “hot” appendix. Two hrs. later, it’s removed by laparoscopic (3 tiny incisions) surgery. Dr. released him at 9am next morning, with caution to “take it easy, and let your body tell you what you can/can’t do”. We all hang around the motel, watch NASCAR race and discuss getting him and his bike home, and how the trip is to proceed. About 6 pm he tells us to be ready to ride at 8 am, he feels good and he’s spent too much time planning the trip to quit. The man LOVES to ride.

L. to R. just before leaving my house. John-boy, Joker, Toons, Scotty, Doc, myself.
leavingmyplace.jpg
[/IMG]

Attachments

• leaving my place.JPG
    leaving my place.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 132
Wow! I know that kind of surgery is routine, but only 24 hours of recovery? That's one tough buddy you got!

Can't wait for the rest of this story to play out. :)

I forgot a couple of pics in the last post. Toons doesn't normally wear stockings, they are a blood pressure thing used in surgery . Our basic route.

Attachments

• IMAGE_81E74CBF-A4CE-4E1E-9CAC-15D347D6D732.JPG
    IMAGE_81E74CBF-A4CE-4E1E-9CAC-15D347D6D732.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Sturgis Route 2012.png
    Sturgis Route 2012.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 75
Back