free website stats program Stupid question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stupid question

You can safely use propane from your small torch to check for intake leaks:s

I would not recommend using "starting fluid" for this check. WD40 or carb cleaner is less volatle. Has this always been a problem with this bike? Or did it start after a maintenance action happened?

I purchased the bike in october of 2012 and as far as I can remember it has had this issue since. When I leave in the morning the temp outside is 45-50. I figured that temp could cause this since I would ride it when it was 30+ outside but even when its high 80's it still does this.

Ok, so I ran the propane around and there is no difference, leading me to believe the manifold gaskets are good to go. Could a coil problem produce the same symptoms? Just curious as I do have a brand new coil available if I need it.

So, I have replaced intake gaskets, rebuilt the carb,new plug wires/plugs, and yet it still coughs, it surges at idle that drops 300 rpm when it does. I live at 8000ft with 175 main and a 45 pilot. there is nothing special to the bike its a bone stock 80 with stock exhaust and nothing special on ignition either. It coughs through the carb so bad at acceleration its embarrassing the idle air is out 3-1/3 turns and i've gone up and down with it too but it still runs poorly regardless. I'm at my wits end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a 46 pilot? I would try it. At 3-1/3 turns you are at risk of loosing the adjustment screw. Have you done a compression test?

Do you have a 46 pilot? I would try it. At 3-1/3 turns you are at risk of loosing the adjustment screw. Have you done a compression test?

No unfortunately I don't have access to jets around here. I haven't done a compression test but the engine is a factory reman thats a little over a year old.

It sure sounds like a leak somewhere that closes up after expansion/heat of hot motor. Have you checked to see if the fuel tank is either pressurized when hot or negatively pressurized when cold? As if the fuel tank vent were plugged. Opening the gas cap would immediately tell if that is the case.

Could this be a VOES problem when hot? I could be as simple as the hose from the VOES to the carb being shot and pinching down when hot.

Back