free website stats program Stumped | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stumped

Centering pin part number - 34978-00A
Shift pawl assembly - 34972-02B
Though, for about 5 bucks more you can get the Baker anti-overshift version.
See page 7-29, figure 7.42 of the 04 Touring service manual.
I'm hoping to avoid replacing the entire works, and ive heard that that the shift pawls on the 2000-2006 touring bikes can be hinky.

If you are not to far from Winchester Va, Groves HD always treated me good. Skips is also there in Winchester not to far from the HD dealer.

. . . . . Im starting to think its the shifter pawl. After doing more looking, I have also been having issues going from second to neutral and neutral to first. . . . . . . I have to stomp the rear peg, then really mash it back down into first. My logic is if the pawl is messed up, it may be causing the centering pin to move. So, i think I am going to be ordering a new pawl, a new centering pin, and a top seal as a start. Sound logical?

Centering pin part number - 34978-00A
Shift pawl assembly - 34972-02B
Though, for about 5 bucks more you can get the Baker anti-overshift version.
See page 7-29, figure 7.42 of the 04 Touring service manual.
I'm hoping to avoid replacing the entire works, and ive heard that that the shift pawls on the 2000-2006 touring bikes can be hinky.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. I don't have a touring bike but I've read other posts where sometimes adjustment is all that's needed to center shifter pawl by feeling for equal free play and spring pressure when moving shift lever in both directions. Anyhow if your model is that away then you have probably already done that.

Let us know how it turned out.

Roger all. Im checking out the service manual for the gap and spaceing. Is it possible to pull the pawl without removing the transmission from the bike?

Roger all. Im checking out the service manual for the gap and spaceing. Is it possible to pull the pawl without removing the transmission from the bike?

Ugh no, not from what I've read (I've never done it). First off you don't have to remove the trans case but you will need to 'slide' the internals a bit to get at the prawl. The primary's will have to come off and I've read the trans trap door needs removed and the clutch plate on the other side.

Check the Manual on all of this.

Back