free website stats program Stumped (again) | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stumped (again)

Ok thanks for all the input again! If we are thinking a short, I have another question:

Shouldn't some fuse have blown?

In my original post I stated I was going to take the fairing of and check the wiring. I think that still should be my main concern correct? I can just picture some wiring rubbing/shaving against something sharp, causing momentary shorts when taking turns or hitting rough surface. That would explain the intermittent occurrence, as well as it getting more frequent when the damage gets worse.

The previous owner made such a mess of the wiring that I am even considering new wiring harnesses. I know I should probably ask this in a separate topic, but does anybody have experience replacing their wiring, and how expensive or hard it is to do?

Thanks

If you get a complete harness it will be plug and play

HD03FLHR069.gif
This what it may look like, not cheap a bit over 500.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an almost identical issue on my '06 Ultra. Turned out to be a shorted connection on the rear O2 sensor.

Ok, I owe you all another post. So I just kept riding with it, gauges jumping, radio turning on and off....I got used to it.

Tuesday, May 20; I am commuting to work. While about halfway there I noticed my volt gauge only reading 12 volt, not the usual 14, or sometimes (due to the issue) 16v. Clearly she wasn't charging, but I made it to work without a problem. Obviously this was probably the worst time for this to happen as it was only 5 days before Rolling Thunder.

My dealer wouldn't touch it for another two weeks (thanks :devil), did I know it was Rolling Thunder this Sunday.....duh!

Made an appointment with a dealer in Gaithersburg, MD who told me I should have it towed there as I would never make the 20 miles without the system charging. I was able to borrow car jump/battery pack, put it in the tourpack and hooked it up to the battery tender. Didn't know if it would work, but made it without a problem.

They had it ready on Friday morning; Stator had gone bad (replaced in 11/2012!) and they recommended replacing the voltage regulator as well. So the usual "arm and a leg" later they gained a very happy customer.

My dancing gauges days were over and I rode my third Rolling Thunder run. What a blast it was!
Thanks all for the help and advice!

Good to have that issue behind you. Hopefully this stator will last forever!

That is where I was going with my post above. Had that happen on my UC (btc - before the crash!). Turned out to be the VR and burnt coils on the stator. So I did what you had to do - replaced the stator and VR. Fixed. But I was lucky to make it home running only on battery. When I pulled in the garage, the voltage meter on the dash read 8Vdc!!! Barely enough to power the ECM!!!

Cheers,

TQ

Back