free website stats program stuck oil filter help | Harley Davidson Forums

stuck oil filter help

djdmad

Had a weak moment and let dealer do my 20k service oil change . Started doing my 25k oil change and when i tried to remove the oil filter with the hd filter wrench it just slipped and would'nt loosen the filter. I then tried my web strap oil filter tool and the filter just bent and still would'nt loosen. Anyone had this problem and if so how did you get it loose . Not much room to get to the filter . Would penatrating oil help ?

I had that problem a while ago.I ended up driving a screwdriver through the side of the filter and using that to loosen it enough to turn off.Messy,but it worked.After I was done I pressure washed the area below the filter making sure I got the oil out of the motor mount area.

What Steve forgot to say was that he CAREFULLY drove a screwdriver through the filter! You don't want it coming out the other side and causing damage to other stuff.

don't know how bad it's bent but i had this problem if you can find one they make a piece of thin rubber for looseing jar lids put it between the filter & filter wrench its tight but it will work

I've had the same problem in the past on other bikes. I used and old belt, looped it around what was left of the filter, than back through the buckle. Pulled end of belt with a steady pressure until it loosened. If you have a big enough pair channelock pliers as mentioned above that would work too if you have the room. Not eneough room on my UC for channelocks I don't think.

gotta be careful with the screwdriver, you might tear the filter apart,

and the base still be stuck. i worked in an oil change place for a bit,

seemed like when i would get a stuck one, the rubber gasket would be

fused to the plate from no oil being used on the gasket on install.

tried the screwdriver and channel locks, sometimes they work, but if they

dont, you can make more work for yourself.

go to pep boys or whatever you have around your, sears is best and they have it,

its an oil filter wrench, the strap type, but it uses a 3/8 ratchet, it has no

handle, get it as close to the base of the filter, the closer the better, this is

the strongest point of the filter. good luck

My filter wrench is a tiny bit bigger than a HD filter, and I always do like "coolbreeze" suggested above. I put a socket extention on and tap the wrench onto the filter. When all is in place, I try and give it a "quick" twist to break it loose. I have resorted to the screwdriver thru filter method more than once.

:worthyOk after a Gorilla tightens your oil filter so tight that nothing seems to work this is what i use and it never feels me. snap on tools sells a strap wrench that takes either a 1/2 or 3/8 drive rachet put strap wrench on the filter with an extension and hold pressure on it until it loosing up it will work. And of course counter clock wise

Over the years of removing oil filters ive been through many different types started with the big srewdriver driven carefully all the way through the filter then strap wrenches and chain wrenches im currently using a sort of tripod that fits over the end of the filter that will take 1/2" or 3/8" square drive and grips tighter the more pressure you put on it and usually puts three deep dents in the filter where it grips great tool
foung it in halfords profesional range of tools

Brian

Back