free website stats program Stroked or bored Pros or cons | Harley Davidson Forums

Stroked or bored Pros or cons

bagrman

Hi All

I have a 93 that is developing a noisy bottom end.
So, the last motor I had rebuilt, I had the cases bored and an 88" cylinders put on it. Now when I mentioned the same work at the Harley shop they said that they don't suggest boring the cases due to strength issues. Their suggestion was to stroke the motor. One issue I have heard about stroking is that it will add vibration to the motor. Which will give better longevity and ridability? With out going insane could the motor go into the 90"+ area and still be street rideable without heat issues?

Thoughts. Experiences.

Latr
chris

Last edited:
Since it's your bottom end with problems....I'd look at stroking instead of boring, a set of 4-5/8 stroker flywheels with stock 3.5"pistons will give you 89". 3-5/8 will give you 96". S&S have some sidewinder kits in both 89" and 96"(used to anyway) you could also check out Ultima.Early 90's cases,I think 90-92, had issues with being bored and S&S didn't offer 96" kits for those years, I'm going back 15 yrs, so don't trust my memory...check deeper.
An 89"or 96" stroker kit will give you near stock longevity. Years ago the 96" S&S Supersidewinder used to be "King" and was/is a very reliable engine.

You could also look into trading in or selling your engine to offset the cost and buy a complete 96" S&S or Ultima for about what the stroker kits would cost and save a lot of work.

Last edited:
Back