free website stats program Stripped Out Transmission Drain Plug | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripped Out Transmission Drain Plug

Bosbury1,

I had to repair my drain plug after I let my local dealer perform the first service on my 08 Heritage. That's another story though. I repaired mine using the expensive Time-Sert option and have since put on almost 16K miles since then without further issues and would suggest that as the most reliable long term option.

I noticed you are in Dallas. I live in Frisco and happen to have the kit you need with some extra inserts that I hope I will not need and would be willing to let you borrow the kit to fix your ride or even lend a hand doing the repair. It is tricky but if you take your time well worth the effort.

Welcome to the forum TripleJ, that's a great first post, you bin there, done that. I agree with you if you're going to do it, do it so it'll last, the serts are the best repair method and that's was a generous offer you made.

Thanks TripleJ for your testimonial regarding the Timesert remedy. It does tip the scales favorably to their use. Honestly, putting in full perimeter thick stainless steel insert to eliminate the soft aluminum deal directly with threaded steel fastener is a very professional "machinist" solution, and is priced as such. Your offer I am sure is very welcome by your fellow enthusiasts here.

Thanks for the welcome Chopper. I have been reading your forum for awhile now have has gotten a ton of good info and ideas from you guys. You have an awesome site to be proud of for sure. I just saw an opportunity to help and maybe repay a little for all the info and ideas that I have gotten from the forum.

Thanks to all!

Thanks triplej for your willingness to help out a fellow biker in his time of need on your first post
its nice to know there are still decent helpfull people out there

Brian

Good to see the sharing here, Time serts are by far the best and permanent repair , just a little spendy. Thats why a lot of people dont know about them and use them, good luck and job well done, Jack

Met TripleJ Saturday at the local HD dealer nice guy and wanted to extend again my thanks. Was going to do the Time Sert yesterday, but we had snow and it was about 28 in my garage a little too cold to work on the bike. will keep everyone posted on my progress. Thanks again TripleJ

Met TripleJ Saturday at the local HD dealer nice guy and wanted to extend again my thanks. Was going to do the Time Sert yesterday, but we had snow and it was about 28 in my garage a little too cold to work on the bike. will keep everyone posted on my progress. Thanks again TripleJ
I will be watching for sure as I think I have the same problem with my tranny plug.

bill

they make several size's in self tapping drain plugs to fix your problem, and they don't hit gears. these plugs are avail from lawson products or @ shops like mine. forgot...smear a little grease on the plug before install to collect shavings then pour 1/2 qt oil in trans to flush anything around hole. fixed!

Back