Stripped damper rod bolt...Help!

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by cmvsm, Nov 20, 2010.

1. cmvsm

cmvsm Member

On my last tube tonight, and the 6mm hex bolt stripped. Any ideas on how to get this out would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Drill thru the center and use a spline drive easy out

3. PetieJ

PetieJ Member

What Jack said, plus, If you can get a "left-handed" drill bit, sometimes the bit will bring out the broken bolt without having to use of an easy-out. They have been life savers for me, more then once.

4. cmvsm

cmvsm Member

Thanks Jack and Petie. Haven't used a spline drive before. Is this something I can get at Home Depot and do you have a link to what I might be looking for? The bolt didn't crack, so its still pretty tight in there.

5. Jack Klarich

I would check Lowes they carry Kobalt tools made by Snap On, the spline drive east outs look like a torx bit but they have more serrations and they bite reall good, and as Petie said may try a left hand drill bit also, if these dont work use a drill and tap gauge drill it and retap it, Good Luck, Capital Jack

6. Jack Klarich

REX104A, Extractor, Multi-Spline, 1/8" Here is what I use @ work, You may find these @ Lowes, Harbor Freight or Napa The Snap On ones I have have the size drill to use stamped on them pretty fool proof

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  7. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

8. Jack Klarich

Good Deal TripleJ those will work they look just like the Snap On ones and Irwin has been round a long time Remember Vise Grips Thats Them

9. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Jack your post are spot on and give all the info anyone could need. Reminds me of a certain HD guru we all know.:bigsmiley28:

10. Jack Klarich

Thanks Don But I aint no Glider, Just Capital Jack, I have had my share of broken bolts and learned from the best, My Dad, Taught me early on how to remove broken and stripped fasteners, and even gave me my first set of Snap On spline drive extractors, and if I can help I am here for all, Thanks again Don:s