free website stats program Stripped bolt head | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripped bolt head

scts

Started the 1000 mile services on the Ultra last night and stripped out one of the bolt heads on the derby / primary cover... 4 of the 5 were tough to break loose but they did without slipping on the head at all, the 5th slipped a couple of times and isn't going to break loose with the T27 at this point :small3d012:

Luckly, I hadn't drained the primary fluid yet so the other 4 bolts went back in and it's ridable (did get the oil and trans changed), but need to figure out how I'm going to get that sucker out. Obviously step one is to swing by and pickup a replacement, thinking I may have to get the dremel out and cut a slot for a screwdriver... do have one of those "screw extractors" but I'm thinking the bolt is proably too tough to break loose for it to work?

Anyone have any thoughts / recommendations (can't say I'm thrilled about the thought of "cutting" into the new bike).

Thanks,
Scott

I'd try a small sharp chisel. Tap a notch straight into an edge, then hold the chisel at an angle and give some sharp hits ccw. My interpretation of "sharp" hit is one that won't cause the chisel to skid off your object and gouge the surrounding chrome. It may break it loose.

Thanks Guys - maybe I'll give the extractor a shot, knowing I can drill the head off if that doesn't work. Nothing like having multiple solutions within 30 mins :cheers

Try the way the link I posted suggests. Less chance of damage and the remainder of the bolt will screw out with your fingers in most cases.

Just drill the head off the frozen bolt.

If you try to drill it out,use a left handed drill bit.Most of the time it wll back right out. Good luck.

Try the way the link I posted suggests. Less chance of damage and the remainder of the bolt will screw out with your fingers in most cases.

Just drill the head off the frozen bolt.

Go with Gliders suggestion. Soo much simpler and more reliable way of doing it.:D

once you get it out replace all of the screws with hex head screws. I bought SS hex head screws at Ace Hardware and threw away those torx screws. Now the screws on the primary cover match the ones securing the outer primary cover. to me it makes that whole side look better. Dont know why thE moco uses those torx screws anyway.

Back