free website stats program Street Glider Advice On Trade IN" | Harley Davidson Forums

Street Glider Advice On Trade IN"

ElGato

Account Removed
Hello All, 30 days ago I purchased a 09 Night Train and have put on 1000 miles on it. The bike rides nice, but my wife and I decided that we really need something more in the lines of a Touring Bike since we now want to do some serious long weekend trips ( shame on us for not thinking ot out before we purchased. The Night train is in mint condition and has had the 1000 mile service. I paid near 17K for the bike plus taxes, Iam going to the Harley Dearler tomorrow and will look and try to make a trade in deal.

How much$$$ do you all think I will loose on the Night Train, what would be your bottom line in $$$ to get for the Train. I hope it's not tpo much"". I am guesiing I may do better on Ebay but do not want the hassel, just want to consider it a bad mistake in judgement and move on

Thanks

This is a HD night mare, buy a great bike but learn it is not what you need or really want.
The only way you can come out of this with your hide is trade way up.
Any deal you make will be a retail for retail type trade. Not the best move in the world but can be done for good reason, but plan on holding on to the next one awhile.
Consider this if your going to ride two up and take any trip your going to want a tour pack. Bythe time you add a tour pack the SG price will jump up. Also SG is a very big seller.
I can not and will not even try to tell you what to do.
But consider looking at an ULTRA the 09's are priced right and they have everything ready to go.
Or take a gamble on waiting a bit August the 2010 come out any left over 09 Ultras are going to need to be moved as that time approches.
Thats just my 2 cents worth
I agree with smitty. You're gonna take a hit on the Night Train, and that just doesnt seem fair because it's a great bike and should be worth almost what you paid for it. I would hold off till the 2010's come out if at all possible. Very least you may get the latest and greatest, or get a great deal on a 2009.

I wish I could tell you 16k, but you never know, you may be able to work out a good deal if you bypass the salesmen and head straight to the big cheese. Especially if you are just gonna buy another brand new bike and this one only had 1000 miles on it. That being said, KBB on that bike w/ 1000 miles on it is (Hope you are sitting down) 13500. Keep in mind that this number is trade in and it takes into account a whole bunch of stuff. Good luck whatever you do.

Brace yourself - NADA low retail on your bike is $11,880. Average retail is $14,855. Your bike is brand new so you'd probably get closer to the second figure but I don't think you're going to get 16 or 17 thousand. If you're honestly ready to chalk it up as a real bad decision and willing to spend the money to get it right this time, you're going to have to cough up the difference and get on an Ultra. If money's an issue and you still want to move up to a Touring bike, don't be afraid to look for an immaculate low mileage used bike. It won't hit your wallet as much as a new one and it might already have a lot of the accessories you'd want to add anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, I owe nothing on it. I can live with 16K, I will use the fact that beyound the purchase I will be buy a lot of extras the same day for leverage, I hope"". If all fails, I wil resort to ebay. But, I have a feeling that this dealer who is the best in S. Florida will work with me.

Thanks Again

I had a very similar situation. I had just bought a 2008 Nightster for my wife. Long story short, she wanted a touring bike. We were set on a 2009 Streetglide.

The HD dealer offered me wholesale and not much more. The bike I was trying to get was (still is) in high demand. I paid sticker price. I don't think you can ask for much more. This was my third bike in less than one year (two different dealers though), and they weren't going to lose money on a bike that someone else would have bought.

I listed the Sporty on Craigslist and sold it in one day for $10,000.00 dollars. I had it listed here and in the local CycleTrader. Didn't get one nibble.

If your anything like me; I want what I want, and I want it now. Sell the Night Train, don't expect to get a fair deal from the dealer. This is how they make money. Remember, this is a business transaction, they aren't your friends. Being friendly is their job, losing money isn't.

I wish you luck in your decision, I am cheering for you to get the touring bike though. You will be much happier in the end. BTW, it's only money, they will always print more.....

I hope it works out for you but, I was in the same situation last year. I purchased a new Fat boy and traded it in for a new SG after 2K miles and several upgrades. Got $13K for Fatboy.

Drive anything off the lot and lose 20% of the value by depreciation in 5 minutes.
from 17k, you can get to 14k in a big hurry.

Dealer will not give you the best price for a trade in, it is always better
to try sell privately.

I agree with smitty to wait until the 10'scome out, and try to pick up
one of the last 09's. It is after all only one season.

Also loading up on extras might help ease the pain a bit.

Good luck, keep us posted please.

Back