free website stats program street glide | Harley Davidson Forums

street glide

chuck60

Can some one who has a 2012 street glide give me some info on the bike, you likes and dislikes would be very helpful. thank you, Charlie.

Charlie,

I have a 2011, but there's almost no difference between the 2 model years so here are some thoughts;

Likes -

• The seat and seating position - the new seat is much better than previous seats
  • Rider comfort
  • Awesome looks - Street Glides have been the most appealing HD for me personally
  • Love the 103
  • New frame feels much more solid, better handling
  • Stock exhaust right now, but they don't sound bad at all for a stocker

Dislikes -

• Stock windshield was way too low for me at 6' 1", although they look cool, way too much wind buffeting for my liking. I switched to an 8" Windvest - great upgrade and still looks awesome!!!
  • Stock sound system is borderline

For comparison, my last bike was a 2008 Ultra Classic

I am 6'1" as well, you said your happy with the 8" windvest, would the 9" be better or just stay with the 8". I do a lot of highway as well as side roads. I will have to change the seat as well, they said they make a sundowner seat for the street glide witch is the only one my wife will sit on any more. They said the 2012 sound system is 20 watts per channel is that the same as the 2011. where did you get the windvest? I had a ultra back in 05 CVO I was not happy with the weight,also my wife did not like the speakers wrapped around the seat, so I went back to the road king for the last 4 years.

I am 6'1" as well, you said your happy with the 8" windvest, would the 9" be better or just stay with the 8". I do a lot of highway as well as side roads. I will have to change the seat as well, they said they make a sundowner seat for the street glide witch is the only one my wife will sit on any more. They said the 2012 sound system is 20 watts per channel is that the same as the 2011. where did you get the windvest? I had a ultra back in 05 CVO I was not happy with the weight,also my wife did not like the speakers wrapped around the seat, so I went back to the road king for the last 4 years.

9" Windvest would be a good shield too. I have considered getting on to try, but have been satisfied with the 8". It's like night and day compared to the stock shield. I bought my shield directly from Windvest.

Yeah the passenger seat is more for looks. My wife hardly ever rids so that doesn't bother me. If you haul 2-up a lot, then a seat change would be a good idea.

Pretty sure that is the same system that is on my 2011. I had the HogTunes 8-speaker system with an Amp on my Ultra Classic so I was spoiled. Going back to a stock system was a big change for me. A sound System upgrade is on the to do list : )

I will have to change the seat as well, they said they make a sundowner seat for the street glide witch is the only one my wife will sit on any more.

If your wife rides with you a lot, a stock FLHX leaves a lot to be desired for passengers. A seat upgrade is a good start. You will probably also need a passenger backrest and switch the passenger foot pegs out for more comfortable floor boards. Also, remember the Street Glide is already lowered compared to other Touring models so there's less suspension travel in the rear shocks.

Is your windvest shield distorted when you look through the shield, I had Harley put on there version and if you look through it any where but very low every thing is distorted.

The only distortion is right along the top of the shield where it curves upwards. It would be hard for it not to be distorted along this area due to the contour of the shield, but the benefits of this curve are worth it to me. The lip on the top of the Windvest allows you to keep a lower shield while reaping the wind blocking benefits of a shield several inches higher:s

Here's a picture of my bike. You can see the contoured edge on the shield.

Max picture size is 800 X 600. Oversize pics will be removed.

Steve

Let's try this again - Had to re-size the pictures;

32711013-1.jpg

StreetGlide32011023.jpg

Back