free website stats program Street Glide Windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

Street Glide Windshield

Just bought a 10" windshield for the Street Glide.
Any advice on installing?

Not sure on the newer bikes, but a warning from my experience. On my bike ('03), the 3 screws that secure the front fairing and clamp the windshield, fasten to brass threaded bolt holes molded into the inner fairing. I got too rambunctious when I was tightening these one time and stripped the brass "socket" out of the molded plastic. Had to come up with a plan B. This is a very fine line since the screws have to be tight enough to secure the windshield, but too much force and the sockets twist loose!!

TQ

+1 on what TQ said. Also be VERY patient and be SURE the shield slots are around the brass sockets and not wedged anywhere else or you will crack the shield as you tighten. Don't ask me how I know this!

+ another.

Tighten the screws incrementally. Make sure your other 4 screws are loosened enough for a little play to insert the windshield.

1. Position the windshield

2. Start the center screw, but only a few threads.

3. Start the other two screws, again only a few threads

4. Apply pressure to the fairing (I push up wards against the headlight) and continue to tighten the screws until they touch the fairing, but are only almost finger tight. While doing this, make sure the windshield is properly positioned in the fairing.

5. After everything is snug, but not tight, check the windshield one last time to make sure it is positioned correctly. Then lightly snug the screws on the fairing, starting at the bottom ones, then the two outer screws below the speakers and then the windshield screws starting at the center one.

Remember these screws are threading into brass inserts that are pressed into the plastic fairing. They are easily cross-threaded and are also easy to over tighten and this will cause them to be extracted from the fairing, which is not good, grasshopper! Use care, and no force!

Good luck!

Is it possible to replace these brass inserts into the fairing?
Thanks

I have the short shield. I thinks its the four inch. Its the real short one. I want a little more protection but still want the sleak look. does the six inch make a difference over the four inch?

Back