free website stats program Street Glide windscreens - Again | Harley Davidson Forums

Street Glide windscreens - Again

DrBro

OK - I have done a search and I am looking for an update. FYI I am 5'8 with a 30" inseam, 09 SG and stock seat. I bought a blem Clearview 6.5" with recurve. Initially I noticed a huge improvement around town - mainly no shaking glasses. Then two changes a) put my backrest on so I wasn't slouching and b) got it over 50mph and :( Way too much buffeting. I have read posts saying that a lower seat (Mustang) made a huge improvement. Otherwise I am thinking an 8" Clearview with recurve or 6.5 inch Klock Werks.

The Clearview doesn't have much recurve but is much cheaper, the Klock Werks is lower and more "interesting" shape. Thougts?????

I have the 8" clearview and like it very much. I'm 5'9" so we are similar in height. I don't believe the kw's are worth the money and they come back too far toward the rider for my likes. Your going to get some turbulance no matter what you buy as it's just the way it is with the batwing fairing.

Here is my 2 cents worth on windshields for the Street Glide. I own several of them. I have the stock 4" which does look the coolest. I have a 14" clear which gives the best protection but looks the worst. My vavorite is the Klock Werks Flare. These come in several sizes (height) and seem to provide the best balance for me.
Perhaps the most key element is how tall one sits in the saddle. Some of the factors include but are not limited to; Seat type and fill, suspension changes (lowered or stretched), front wheel size modifications and the addition or abscence of deflectors on the front faring.
I have Kuryakan adjustable smoked deflectors on the faring. This does actually influence the amount of noise and wind toss you get from the front and adds or diminishes based on the type of windshield. This added with the 6" Klock Werks flare does the trick for me.
Several friends who have changed the front wheel size to the ever popular 21" rim have reported nearly no wind with this combo due to a change in front end ride height thus causing the rider to change position to the more of a slouch position. Many have also modified fork tubes that may lengthen slightly or shorten the total length. This is also a contributing factor. Bottom line may be here: increase the fron ride height and the size of the windshield required to achieve maximum wind noise will increase. Not a hard and fast rule but a general guide.
One of the best ways is to borrow one from a fellow rider for the day and simply try them out for a few hours at various speeds and weather conditions. That is what led me to my final choice. It takes a whole 5 minutes to change out a windshield. Best to spend the time rather than the money first.

Smketr - thanks for the input. BTW, how do you touch the ground!? You win the short leg contest from your avatar....

I have one from a Classic & like it. Bought it used good shape. I also have the side deflectors & can change them Makes a difference.

Well John at Clearview was very helpful and true to their claims is swaping out an 8 in recurve for me. Their service is top shelf, so I will try that next.

Smketr - I have a similar riding buddy that is growing way too fast... but he does love to ride! I even offered to put wood blocks on the pegs.

Well John at Clearview was very helpful and true to their claims is swaping out an 8 in recurve for me. Their service is top shelf, so I will try that next.

Smketr - I have a similar riding buddy that is growing way too fast... but he does love to ride! I even offered to put wood blocks on the pegs.

If the Clearview doesn't work out I've got my 6.5" Klock Werks for sale. Had to swap for a 8.5" Klock Werks to fit my 3-pouch windshield bag. The 6.5" was only on my bike for ~30 miles & I would've kept if the WS bags fit better underneath. Send me a message, if interested.:newsmile082:

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 32
I was having the same problem...then I picked up an air baffle. Costs $24.95 at the dealer. It is a chrome piece, shaped like a half moon and it mounts right under the fairing in between the forks...what it does is directs the air coming from underneath the forks down, and reduces the air coming from up under there by probably 60%. Mounts in about 5 minutes. Turn the wheel to the right and screw it in, turn the wheel to the left and screw it in...done.

I was having a pretty serious buffeting issue and was starting to get stressed out about it because I wanted to ride, but also didn't want all my fillings to rattle out either...installed the baffle, took it out for a spin and wow, major difference. It totally fixed the problem for me, plus for $24.95 I added another piece of chrome to the bike.

Back